Hurricane Dorian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Dorian

Just wanted to let everyone affected but Dorian to stay safe! Category 5’s are rare and can cause a lot of damage so I hope everyone is ok and stays safe out there!

My guess is that the Bahamas have grounded all aircraft with a crosswind limit of less than 200 mph.

Comment

They made the decision to close FLL yesterday at noon which I didn't think much of (I live in the Fort Lauderdale area) but was surprised to see one of the local weathermen get rather critical of the decision due to the conditions really not being very significant yesterday (or even today for that matter - it's been well known for a while that it's heading north and both Broward and Miami-Dade counties were out of the hurricane impact areas). He even noted that the wind direction would not result in any crosswinds as the wind direction was almost directly W to E. I don't believe they closed MIA but my impression is that airport hardly ever closes.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on the topic on the factors that go into the decision to close a pretty big airport like this.

Comment

Good info. But in contrast to Irma (September 2017), KMCO is open. At least that's what I know about LH #464 tomorrow.

Orlando, or Miami, is EDDL minus 6, isn't it. So, what happens with LH 464 of today, September 3rd. That flight indeed has been cancelled.

And I have just 'telephoned' to Orlando Intl airport, at this very moment they say:
        'Commercial flight operations at Orlando International airport have ceased until the storm has passed. For information on specific flights, please contact your airline directly.'

Yes. That's why I am here today. LH-B744 waits to go to MCO again.
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
          [...] I don't believe they closed MIA but my impression is that airport hardly ever closes.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinion on the topic on the factors that go into the decision to close a pretty big airport like this.
          Hm. What can I say. I also have just 'telephoned' with the Miami International airport KMIA. That's what they say at Miami:

'MIA remains open and is no longer in the cone of concern for Hurricane Dorian. However, some airlines have canceled some of their flights. Please follow-up with your airline about your flight status.'

So, what can I say about LH #462, scheduled t/o Tuesday September 3rd. That's not completely my topic, but rather for the LH-A388 colleagues.

LH 462 today also has been cancelled.

You wonder why responsible airlines like LH cancel flights? Well. Dorian seems to be a hurricane category F5. That means it is a storm which does not necessarily move forward (!), but the circulation speed around the eye of the hurricane is enormous:
          Hurricane category F5 circulation speed is .. 135 knots at least and up to 152 knots.

I don't know how much you know about aviation. I have seen photos where somebody flies above a hurricane. But that is only possible, if the hurricane does not cover your scheduled arrival..

I can tell you, 140 knots (160 US miles or 260 km/h) wind speed in the storm is nothing what you'd like on the tailfin of a 747. Imagine an ATIS which tells you
          265@138.

I don't know a good a/c for such conditions. At least the LH-B744 stays on the ground with such a weather at the arrival!
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Yesterday I made a screenshot of the Florida - Bahamas area while Dorian was hitting the latter and almost no planes where passing over the islands.
            Did this Jet Blue abort a landing in Nassau and went back, in your opinion?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane Dorian 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	1042225

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Canobbio View Post
              Yesterday I made a screenshot of the Florida - Bahamas area while Dorian was hitting the latter and almost no planes where passing over the islands.
              Did this Jet Blue abort a landing in Nassau and went back, in your opinion?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27972[/ATTACH]
              That's a cool graphic. If they did go back like it appears that was a pretty expensive failed effort, although the responsible decision makers likely had in mind an attempt get as many of their customers off the islands as possible which is admirable.

I saw some photos of FPO (Grand Bahamas International) and it's completely underwater. https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...und-the-world/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                That's a cool graphic. If they did go back like it appears that was a pretty expensive failed effort, although the responsible decision makers likely had in mind an attempt get as many of their customers off the islands as possible which is admirable.

I saw some photos of FPO (Grand Bahamas International) and it's completely underwater. https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...und-the-world/
                You are right, it did not occurr to me that could have been an effort to get out their costumers. Admirable indeed.

Meanwhile, NOAA is taking a good look to Dorian just now (this screenshot is almost live):

Name:	hurricane Dorian 02.jpg
Size:	512.8 KB
ID:	1042252

Comment

Name:	IMG_1109.JPG
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	1042283

My wife flew from Miami to Georgia yesterday on her brother-in-laws Learjet 60. She says the pilot got some great photos of the hurricane when they were passing - I'll post if I get them.

Comment

Working...
                  X