Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post (and first rejected photo)

Hello!

This is my first post in the forum and I wanted to get feedback on a photo that I recently submitted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1165.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1046446

The photo above was rejected due to Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered) and Undersharpened (Soft). I don't have the exif data handy right now, but I did sharpen in post using Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw. I'm wondering if this photo would be an example of bad photography practice or if I missed something in post.

Any advice would be very helpful!

I’m not a screener, but the photo is definitely low in the frame. Try to center vertically it post-processing. Also could use a bit more sharpening if/when you go back and edit it.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Hello!

This is my first post in the forum and I wanted to get feedback on a photo that I recently submitted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28099[/ATTACH]

The photo above was rejected due to Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered) and Undersharpened (Soft). I don't have the exif data handy right now, but I did sharpen in post using Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw. I'm wondering if this photo would be an example of bad photography practice or if I missed something in post.

Any advice would be very helpful!
      Hi, I'm the one who rejected your image. First, the image you've attached to this post is not the actual image you submitted and that got rejected - the one in your post here is 1920pix, while the one you submitted was 1280. This means you wouldn't be getting feedback on the exact same image you actually submitted, so in the future better to post the actual image that was rejected.

The aircraft is indeed too low in the frame. The sharpening should be an easy fix, though I would probably also add a little contrast as well to be sure.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep this in mind for future submissions.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep this in mind for future submissions.
          Hi Tyler
          I'm also not a screener, but I do have a few hundred accepted photos. It looks to me like there was cloud between the aircraft and the sun when you took the photo. While it's not impossible to get photos up from cloudy days, they are hard to get accepted. For Jetphotos, I recommend trying to only upload photos where the sun is shining directly on the aircraft.

Comment

I'm Determined to Have a Photo Approved

I'm going to keep submitting photos, but with four rejections in a row I'm wondering how I can approve my chances? Below are the three most recent rejections that I thought for sure would be approved:

If the person who rejected these photos happens to read this post, I'm really wanting to learn and become a better photographer. So no need to have a snarky/defensive response

I think in the future, I'll start submitting photos for pre-screening.

Comment

I'm going to keep submitting photos, but with four rejections in a row I'm wondering how I can approve my chances? Below are the three most recent rejections that I thought for sure would be approved:

If the person who rejected these photos happens to read this post, I'm really wanting to learn and become a better photographer. So no need to have a snarky/defensive response

I think in the future, I'll start submitting photos for pre-screening.
              Hi, as noted here:

Have a question about Photo Editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.), improving your photos, etc.? Our crew of Photo Screeners is here to help you out!

Please post all requests in the same thread in the future.

As for your rejected images, did you have specific questions? They were rejected for vignetting, centering, exposure, and softness issues. Have you read the upload guidelines for each of those issues?

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                Hi, as noted here:

Have a question about Photo Editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.), improving your photos, etc.? Our crew of Photo Screeners is here to help you out!

Please post all requests in the same thread in the future.

As for your rejected images, did you have specific questions? They were rejected for vignetting, centering, exposure, and softness issues. Have you read the upload guidelines for each of those issues?
                I think I was most confused about vignetting and centering issues. The Frontier A320 and American 757 both seemed pretty well-centered to me. But besides that, vignetting wasn't added during the editing process and lens correction was applied. So I'm not sure how vignetting would have occurred. But I'll keep a closer eye on the centering of the aircraft next time.

Comment

I think I was most confused about vignetting and centering issues. The Frontier A320 and American 757 both seemed pretty well-centered to me.
                  Both need tighter crops on the left.

But besides that, vignetting wasn't added during the editing process and lens correction was applied. So I'm not sure how vignetting would have occurred. But I'll keep a closer eye on the centering of the aircraft next time.
                  The vignetting is pretty strong, which tells me that likely the aperture was relatively wide open, and that you were probably shooting at the long end of your zoom. Vignetting is not something that is easy to remove with lens correction (doing so often causes more issues than it solves), and is best simply avoided in the first place. try stopping down below f/8 or more in the future, as that usually tends to eliminate the weaker parts (corners) of the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                    Both need tighter crops on the left.

The vignetting is pretty strong, which tells me that likely the aperture was relatively wide open, and that you were probably shooting at the long end of your zoom. Vignetting is not something that is easy to remove with lens correction (doing so often causes more issues than it solves), and is best simply avoided in the first place. try stopping down below f/8 or more in the future, as that usually tends to eliminate the weaker parts (corners) of the lens.
                    Thanks for the advice! That's probably what it was

Comment

Working...
                    X