Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Emirhan - Editing advice

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default how to properly crop?

    Im really new to planespotting, i watched some vids and read guides. I cant crop properly.

    Original picture is this (dont mind exposure and horizon level) :

    https://pasteboard.co/I94FOfc.jpg

    After I crop quality becomes:

    https://pasteboard.co/I94FIRw.jpg


    Im using PS CC.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emirhan View Post
    Im really new to planespotting, i watched some vids and read guides. I cant crop properly.

    Original picture is this (dont mind exposure and horizon level) :

    https://pasteboard.co/I94FOfc.jpg

    After I crop quality becomes:

    https://pasteboard.co/I94FIRw.jpg


    Im using PS CC.

    Thanks.
    Looks about right. What do you think the issue is with the cropped image?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    Looks about right. What do you think the issue is with the cropped image?
    General quality of image, for example when I zoomed to image registration is just looking bad. If its OK, no problem for me.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emirhan View Post
    General quality of image, for example when I zoomed to image registration is just looking bad. If its OK, no problem for me.
    While cropping , I advise you to pay attention to the distance between A/C and edges both horizontally and vertically.

    (Translate) P.S: Gayet güzel.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theaviationspotter View Post
    While cropping , I advise you to pay attention to the distance between A/C and edges both horizontally and vertically.

    (Translate) P.S: Gayet güzel.
    Thanks, are you Firat Cimenli (http://theaviationspotter.com) ? If you are, thank you very much for your guide. Both video and text is pretty good.

  6. #6
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emirhan View Post
    General quality of image, for example when I zoomed to image registration is just looking bad. If its OK, no problem for me.
    You are correct, the quality is poor, but the quality of the original uncropped image is also very poor. Why would you expect this to change simply by cropping it? If anything, cropping usually shows the flaws even more.

    If you want your final, cropped image to look better, you need to start with a better quality original.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    You are correct, the quality is poor, but the quality of the original uncropped image is also very poor. Why would you expect this to change simply by cropping it? If anything, cropping usually shows the flaws even more.

    If you want your final, cropped image to look better, you need to start with a better quality original.
    I guess i used the term "quality" wrong. Im was trying to say cropped images resolution is bad so even registration is readable hardly.

  8. #8
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emirhan View Post
    I guess i used the term "quality" wrong. Im was trying to say cropped images resolution is bad so even registration is readable hardly.
    The cropped image has no problems with resolution/compression. The registration is hardly readable because it is soft. It is soft because the original image is very soft - which goes back to my point. If you start with a high-quality original, your cropped image should also be high quality. If you don't, it won't be.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    The cropped image has no problems with resolution/compression. The registration is hardly readable because it is soft. It is soft because the original image is very soft - which goes back to my point. If you start with a high-quality original, your cropped image should also be high quality. If you don't, it won't be.
    Thank you. You are totally right.


    Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default Emirhan - Editing advice

    Hello everyone. Im here with a lot of photos and none of them accepted currently. I dont know where to start learning post-processing. I hope to get better with trying again and again.

    (Im using M43 sensor camera which is not that common (at least for planespotters) but I dont think it is the issue. I guess Im doing some step(s) wrong. )

    For example (theres something wrong with this picture but I cant see what it is):

    Out of the body JPEG: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...z/P9076437.JPG
    Out of the body RAW: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...z/P9076437.ORF



    Edit: Tried again: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...P9076437-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LLCjp.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	28466  

  11. #11
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emirhan View Post
    Hello everyone. Im here with a lot of photos and none of them accepted currently. I dont know where to start learning post-processing. I hope to get better with trying again and again.

    (Im using M43 sensor camera which is not that common (at least for planespotters) but I dont think it is the issue. I guess Im doing some step(s) wrong. )

    For example (theres something wrong with this picture but I cant see what it is):

    Out of the body JPEG: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...z/P9076437.JPG
    Out of the body RAW: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...z/P9076437.ORF



    Edit: Tried again: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.co...P9076437-1.jpg
    When you get the chance, please read here:

    https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ning-from-crew

    I've merged your two threads, but please keep all future requests to the same one.

    Your image would certainly be rejected for soft, and dark/contrast. There are two big problems, neither of which have to do with equipment or processing. 1) you are too far away from the aircraft, which is leading you to need to crop a significant amount from the frame. This reduces the quality and makes it harder to hide any flaws. 2) the light/weather you are shooting it is terrible, and not conducive at all for good results if you are looking to have images accepted here.

    Remedy those two problems the next time you go shooting, and then perhaps we can look at what processing steps need to be taken.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks for merging.


    Your both guesses are true. (1) I was on top of a building, aircraft was quite high. I tried because images looked fine to me. Turns out they are not. (2) Weather wasnt bad but clouds were, at this shot sun was behind the clouds which may resulted in noise on aircraft.

    Thankfully I got images with full-aircraft on frame, I will try to process them. Currently my biggest problem is sharpening. I will try to learn sharpening techniques in order to prevent soft images. Thanks for helping out!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hows that?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8295104-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	28897

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Beijing, China / College Station, TX, USA
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emirhan View Post
    Hows that?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8295104-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	28897
    This would be rejected for soft, compression, and borderline contrast. Centering is not perfect as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •