Spotting at IAD? I need some help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting at IAD? I need some help....

Hello everyone! I hope I have this in the right forum.. I am going to Washington DC soon, and am planning on going spotting IAD.. I can only go in the morning, though, and the wind forecasts look like they're going to be landing from the south, so I guess the heavies would probably be taking 1R as the main runway.. I was wondering if anyone has gone spotting in this circled area before?
    I was thinking of going near or at the Chick Fil A parking lot, which would give me a great view looking west, to avoid backlighting... I'm going to the Steven F Hazy Center, and my plane lands early, so I will have a couple of hours to do something before the museum opens..
    I'm hoping to go spotting somewhere that is in walking distance (Within a mile or so) from the museum. And help/advice would be great, thank you!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dulles spotting 1r.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1046463

Thanks,
    Andrew

Andrew - CVG Spotter
    Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Using this guide: https://www.spotterguide.net/planesp...lles-iad-kiad/
    It looks like Spot #1 is the place to be for 1R arrivals in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBison View Post
      Hello everyone! I hope I have this in the right forum.. I am going to Washington DC soon, and am planning on going spotting IAD.. I can only go in the morning, though, and the wind forecasts look like they're going to be landing from the south, so I guess the heavies would probably be taking 1R as the main runway.. I was wondering if anyone has gone spotting in this circled area before?
      I was thinking of going near or at the Chick Fil A parking lot, which would give me a great view looking west, to avoid backlighting... I'm going to the Steven F Hazy Center, and my plane lands early, so I will have a couple of hours to do something before the museum opens..
      I'm hoping to go spotting somewhere that is in walking distance (Within a mile or so) from the museum. And help/advice would be great, thank you!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28532[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
      Andrew

I'd recommend the parking lot of Batteries Plus Bulbs (38°53'43.6"N 77°25'47.6"W). I spotted here in July without any issues. The location you mentioned might have problems with the wires and trees obstruction. Check the photos that show the right side of the aircracts on approach - they were all taken at this spot: https://www.jetphotos.com/showphotos...d&sort-order=0.

That being said, there are not many heavies landing at IAD in the mornings. Ethiopian, Emirates and Saudi Arabia will use this runway. Korean and ANA mainly use 1C/19C.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you SO much for the help and suggestions!! I'll have to try out that mentioned spot, and thank you for the coordinates!

Thanks,
        Andrew
        Andrew - CVG Spotter
        Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Working...
        X