Very unfortunate incident but I'm done for now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very unfortunate incident but I'm done for now

I will relay this information but yesterday I had a very serious incident involving someone claiming to be a spotter.

I was at Guelph AirPark (CNC4) yesterday just to see if anything was of interest.

There were a couple GA aircraft on the taxing coming towards the end of Skyway Drive, so I parked, and was exiting my vehicle with my camera when someone in a pickup starts screaming at me "Get the f*** out of here, this is my place, you can't take pictures from my spots!" and got worse. I said nothing back but just stood there as he became more and more abusive. He finally threw a half full cup of coffee in my direction and drove off in what I will call a dangerous manner.

I have filed a police report with his general information, plate number etc. There was a witness as well.

This was a public accessible area, with a public accessible business

But the whole thing has left me with an ill feeling towards this hobby. I can't reconcile this for now, and I will have to stop doing anything for the time being.

Originally posted by northstardc4m View Post
    I will relay this information but yesterday I had a very serious incident involving someone claiming to be a spotter.

I was at Guelph AirPark (CNC4) yesterday just to see if anything was of interest.

There were a couple GA aircraft on the taxing coming towards the end of Skyway Drive, so I parked, and was exiting my vehicle with my camera when someone in a pickup starts screaming at me "Get the f*** out of here, this is my place, you can't take pictures from my spots!" and got worse. I said nothing back but just stood there as he became more and more abusive. He finally threw a half full cup of coffee in my direction and drove off in what I will call a dangerous manner.

I have filed a police report with his general information, plate number etc. There was a witness as well.

This was a public accessible area, with a public accessible business

But the whole thing has left me with an ill feeling towards this hobby. I can't reconcile this for now, and I will have to stop doing anything for the time being.
    That’s absolutely insane, hope you are okay. Just know that kinda thing is obviously not only way out of line but also incredibly rare so I really do hope you make a return to the hobby soon enough. Don’t let one bad egg spoil it for you.

Comment

Absolutely no reason for you to feel responsible for anything that caused this person to react this way. Some people will put on a big show in hopes of scaring you and others away. Or this person is mentally unstable. In any case this is not your doing. Carry on like so many thousands do everyday. You are in a public place and obeying the law.

I would have just stood they and proceed to take his picture making sure he saw you.

If you stay away, his childlike nature will win this for him.

Comment

I do appreciate the sentiments... and I think I will be back out at YYZ later this week. I just needed a few days and a bit of venting.

I heard from a local spotter who may know this individual... apparently not really a spotter at all, just some local person with an issue around people and airports... not in such nicely put terms. He's been seen around Brantford more than Guelph apparently.

I'll leave it to the OPP to deal with. I probably won't head back to CNC4 for a long time though, besides him there just isn't much to see there and no really good lighting.

Comment

A situation that is also potentially dangerous because the gentleman does not believe he is mentally stable. could have very violent reactions, as you tell. So I would pay a lot of attention and be there not alone.
          You have all my solidarity.

Comment

Working...
          X