Collings Foundation B-17 down at BDL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collings Foundation B-17 down at BDL

Live updates: A World War II-era aircraft crashed Wednesday morning at Connecticut's Bradley International Airport. Follow here for the latest.

Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Sad news.

I am beginning to think that maybe it's time we park these things...(Please flame me for that comment).
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I'd guess it is N93012. I don't think the Collings Foundation has another B-17.

The local news is reporting 13 people aboard (3 crew, 10 passengers) and the pilot had reported some kind of problem after takeoff and was making a return to the airport. Six people were transported to the hospital, and there are fatalities.

Comment

The scary thing (for me) is if I'd been feeling richer I could have flown on that plane very recently! The "Wings of freedom tour" (including presumably that plane) came to two airports near me, and I actually considered taking a ride, before my wallet levitated out of my pocket and whacked me on the side of the head.

Eric Law

Comment

I don't want to hinder anyone's freedom to do what they like, but could I suggest that a mandatory waver be required to be signed by anyone about to fly in an old aircraft, it could say something like:

Please acknowledge that you understand that the aircraft you are about to travel in is **74** years old and the FAA considers that there is an increased chance of in-flight failures occurring due to this aircraft's age.

Now at what age this comes into effect is debatable, I'll suggest 50 for 121, 60 for 135, 70 for 91...
          moving quickly in air

Comment

...or any recently-designed Boeing.

Eric Law

Comment

Any speculation as to the cause? One engine failure shouldn't cause a crash, especially since the plane was lightly loaded. Pilot says plane wouldn't climb, elevator problems?

Comment

Victims identified: https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ims-identified

Reading the part about the "pax for hire" that apparently were aboard the plane, I'm reminded a little of the DC-3 flight I took last year. My memory is not perfect but my recollection is there was absolutely no safety briefing, and darn near no rules. Pax were not only not told to use seat belts (the plane did have them) but were allowed to walk around the plane during taxi, takeoff, approach, and landing. It made for a great "enthusiast experience" but one wonders what the effects would have been if there had been an accident.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
                  Any speculation as to the cause? One engine failure shouldn't cause a crash, especially since the plane was lightly loaded. Pilot says plane wouldn't climb, elevator problems?
                  Extremely speculative- but reminds me of cases where planes are fueled with jet fuel. There's enough gas in the lines to get you airborne, and then the power goes to crap before you can return.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                    DC-3 flight I took last year.
                    I hate you.

Comment

Wow! Never thought about that possibility!

Comment

Working...
                      X