Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Careers in Aviation dwindling

  1. #21
    Senior Member BoeingBobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    I'd find the time though.
    You let me know how it goes. I will have to be happy flying my J-3.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    McMinnville Ore
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    You let me know how it goes. I will have to be happy flying my J-3.
    Well maybe I did run off at the mouth about some pilots abilities. Just an old taildragger who always liked hand flying and using the rudders.

    But to my first point. Over the years I've seen this. Seven or so years ago at the Mammoth Lakes airport was a guy training pilots to pass the Private Pilot written. Then was training them to operate UAV's. He told me he couldn't train them fast enough for all the openings. Hmm, I'm not sure where they are working, but. Then as I've said I've seen articles in Pro Pilot magazine and a couple others where they address aircraft without any pilots. I thought the next step would be single pilot and was surprised with the premise of NO pilots.

    As I said with the retirement numbers increasing in the next 5-15 years I suspect the subject is going to surface more. When I retired from NetJets 4 years ago we had pilots 75 years old still flying. I think a few years ago the union agreed to lower the max age to 70.

  3. #23
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kent olsen View Post
    ***using the rudders***
    What is this rudder of which you speak? My head may be exploding. Possibly Evan's too.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  4. #24
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kent olsen View Post
    ***I thought the next step would be single pilot and was surprised with the premise of NO pilots.***
    Yes.

    Concur.

    We'll see.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kent olsen View Post
    I thought the next step would be single pilot and was surprised with the premise of NO pilots.
    A single pilot is the premise of no pilots, just as a single engine is the premise of no engines. In both cases, we need the second as the redundancy. The current two-pilot cockpit is the premise of a single pilot.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    7,041

    Default

    When we are ready for pilot-less, let's move to pilot-less. While we are not ready for pilot-less, let's keep 2 pilots and let's keep them actively hand flying (click-click, clack-clack) from time to time.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  7. #27
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    When we are ready for pilot-less, let's move to pilot-less. While we are not ready for pilot-less, let's keep 2 pilots and let's keep them actively hand flying (click-click, clack-clack) from time to time.
    Done!

  8. #28
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    MSFS 2020 will save us:

    https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...oot/index.html

    The new 3D is astonishingly real these days. I might even start playing.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    7,041

    Default

    If you didn't yet, check the MSFS 2020 entry in the house's Flight Simulator forum.

    I am 100% committed to buying my copy... except that I am not 100% committed in spending $2K+ in a computer that runs it.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  10. #30
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If you didn't yet, check the MSFS 2020 entry in the house's Flight Simulator forum.

    I am 100% committed to buying my copy... except that I am not 100% committed in spending $2K+ in a computer that runs it.
    Yeah... You could almost get a 17th-hand J-3 for that kind of money and live (and possibly die) in the real world.

  11. #31
    Senior Member LH-B744's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    1 hr away from EDDL
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    If you can convince the passengers
    My dear threadstarter, that's where I stopped reading more. I am a passenger. And nobody convinced me during the last 41 years, and nobody will for the next 410 years.

    Kent, you really seem like a jetphotos newbie, with only 8 forum entries in almost 4 years. So let me tell you what happened here during the last 15 years.

    We discussed cases like AF #447. Don't tell me that weren't connected to too much computers on board a (longhaul) jet. 228 souls died, zero survivors. And why. The F/O and PF tried to pull out his stick out of that Airbus A330, at FL350 (!)
    !
    And why did he try something insane/stupid like that. Not enough training on the longhaul, not enough training in an Airbus A330-200 (!), not enough training on A332 with MTOW, not enough training... not enough training!!!

    And why not enough training. Because back then everybody thought that an Airbus A330-200 is able to fly when all the two pilots in cockpit are sleeping!

    Epic fail, the biggest epic fail in aviation since I am a jetphotos forum member! But Thank You for your opinion, Kent.

    PS: 2000 $ or more, Gabe, we do talk about US-$, don't we, for a computer that runs fsXI, or as you call it msfs 2020? I should publish a secret now. I have never spent 2000 US-$ for a computer. That includes the machine which I use today to operate Randazzos LH-B744 QOTSI fsx semi pro simulator. ...

    $2k+ .., do you know that an economy seat on board a LH-B744 between Germany and Vancouver nonstop return flight was only 1000 Euros?! And that was during the Olympic Winter games in Vancouver 2010, when ALL Germans tried to reach Canada, and many thought, 1000 Euros is a little bit too much. That included me.
    Gabe, am I your travel agency and your computer advisor? I'd love to.
    Probably we should talk..
    Last edited by LH-B744; 10-18-2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: $2k+ ... what the hell are you tryin to buy lol.
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.
    The operator on the DUS - NYC route, on the DUS - BKK route, and on the shiny new DUS - LAS nonstop route? EW, one of the dearest LH daughters .

    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. A whole decade here on this platform.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    7,041

    Default

    LH, can you pick a computer for me that would run MSFS 2020 with a reasonable graphic quality and a reasonable frame rate (and I am not super demanding about frame rates) for U$S 1000 or less?

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Yeah... You could almost get a 17th-hand J-3 for that kind of money and live (and possibly die) in the real world.
    ...which has surprisingly good 3D graphics!
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

    Eric Law

  14. #34
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elaw View Post
    ...which has surprisingly good 3D graphics!
    4D. 3D + Newton.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •