Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed: AR will fly EZE-MAD-PEK-PVG, starting May 2004

From Infobae

BUENOS AIRES - Aerolineas Argentinas will operate the route between Buenos Aires and Beijing as of next May, announced Minister of Foreing Affairs, Rafael Bielsa. The frequency will be twice a week, with stops at Madrid and Beijing and Shanghai as final destination.

This new service was announced by Antonio Mata, AR's CEO, months ago but was later suspended because of SARS. Flights are also linked with Argentinian interested on becoming a "chosen country" for Chinese authorities, possibility that was considered "very close" by Bielsa.

This qualification will allow Argentina to receive a part of the 26 million Chinese citizens that travel around the world every year. Secretary of Foreing Relations, Jorge Taiana, announced that China asked, with that goal, Argentinian hotels to have a Chinese TV channel - "to maintain our citizens informed about what's going on in their country." Minister Bielsa also announced Government will make visa proceedings easier for Chinese bussinesmen traveling to Argentina.

Aerolineas Argentinas announced it transported 503,500 people last November, record number of passengers in both its nationals and internationals routes. Reached level surpasses in 32% the level of November 2002. 365,600 people flew AR in national flights and 137,900 in international flights.

On a press release, Aerolineas emphasized that "in the first ten months of 2003, the number of passengers that flew AR had already surpassed the quantity of people that flew it during the whole year 2002."

Cheers

Marcos

Source: http://www.infobae.com

wHICH PLANe?
    Fly From the 27th Busiest U.S Airport.....

Fort Lauderdale International Airport
    Nonstop Service to over 60 Destinations
    And
    The Home of Spirit Airlines

Comment

Re: Confirmed: AR will fly EZE-MAD-PEK-PVG, starting May 200

Hmm... interesting routing, obviously AR won't have cabotage rights between PEK and PVG. By the way, there is a large Chinese community in Buenos Aires, isn't there?

Originally posted by Cubana
      From Infobae This qualification will allow Argentina to receive a part of the 26 million Chinese citizens that travel around the world every year.
      And that's projected to grow to 100 million by 2020! :P Of course it will be great when Argentina gets "approved destination" status - I think Brasil already has it (not too sure, though).

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

Actually, does anyone know if AR has any interest in serving Hong Kong? I know they once flew EZE-LAX-HKG, but I think that was before I was born. Plus there's been a gap in the market for flights from here to Latin America ever since Varig stopped flying GRU-GIG-JNB-BKK-HKG, so I wonder if anyone wants to fill it.

Comment

There is a respectable Chinese community in Argentina. Chinese are owners of some supermarkets and small shops all over Buenos Aires and other interior cities. They are not very rich, though, so I am not sure if they are a possible target for this new flight.

This route is operated only for political reasons, just like EZE-LIS during mid 1980s. Argentina wants to become an "approved destination" and this is the best way the government found to reach its goal.

Also during the mid 1980s, there was a EZE-LAX-HKG route as you mentioned. It was discontinued a few years later. I am not sure, but I believe AR still has the fifth rights for this flight. Aerolineas didn't mention anything about restarting that route or, at least, the EZE-LAX leg. This flight would be very interesting for AR since there is a important Argentinian community in Los Angeles area and nobody flies from Ezeiza to the US West Coast.

But well, who knows...

Cheers

Marcos

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Brushstroke
            Actually, does anyone know if AR has any interest in serving Hong Kong? I know they once flew EZE-LAX-HKG, but I think that was before I was born. Plus there's been a gap in the market for flights from here to Latin America ever since Varig stopped flying GRU-GIG-JNB-BKK-HKG, so I wonder if anyone wants to fill it.
            I think the routing was EZE-AKL-SYD-HKG, not EZE-LAX-HKG, with 747-200 (or is it 747SP?). The route was dropped when the Falkland war broke out (back in 1983). AR continued to fly EZE-AKL-SYD though.
            Next:
            None Planned

Comment

Curious routing to fly to PEK/PVG, consider that MU's PVG-MUC-MAD was massively loss-making.
              Next:
              None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                The route was dropped when the Falkland war broke out (back in 1983).
                Ah, no wonder! Hong Kong was a British colony back then, and the Brits obviously didn't want an "enemy" airline operating to their territory. Hmm... I hadn't thought of politics as the reason why the service was stopped.

Comment

The route was dropped when the Falkland war broke out (back in 1983).
                  Ah, no wonder! Hong Kong was a British colony back then, and the Brits obviously didn't want an "enemy" airline operating to their territory. Hmm... I hadn't thought of politics as the reason why the service was stopped.
                  The Legislative Council of HongKong actually passed a law to impose various sanctions (e.g. trade embargo, etc.) on Argentina at that time.
                  Next:
                  None Planned

Comment

Varig rumour to Beijing

That`s great for Aerolineas Argentina because China has a good number of passengers travel in a year.

Another notice is Varig is in negotiation with China govern to begin to fly to Beijing too with a stop in a Europe country( uncertainty ). I don`t know if this rumours are right but I expect that....
                    I think that it can be true because in next month Varig will stop to fly to Nagoya and I heard another rumour that Varig is wanting to begin to fly to Narita with a stop in Zurich. The long route GRU-LAX-NRT with USA visa for passenger to NRT haven`t been so profitable how was some months ago....
                    I am a lover of airplanes`world, and my favorite company in the world is Varig, and all which I can know about airlines I should know....

Comment

Re: Varig rumour to Beijing

Originally posted by Rogério_Varig
                      That`s great for Aerolineas Argentina because China has a good number of passengers travel in a year.

Another notice is Varig is in negotiation with China govern to begin to fly to Beijing too with a stop in a Europe country( uncertainty ). I don`t know if this rumours are right but I expect that....
                      I think that it can be true because in next month Varig will stop to fly to Nagoya and I heard another rumour that Varig is wanting to begin to fly to Narita with a stop in Zurich. The long route GRU-LAX-NRT with USA visa for passenger to NRT haven`t been so profitable how was some months ago....
                      Back in 1998, Air China used to fly PEK-ZRH-GRU using 767.

Would Varig consider routing the NRT route through MEX or YVR instead of the longer European route?
                      Next:
                      None Planned

Comment

The Legislative Council of HongKong actually passed a law to impose various sanctions (e.g. trade embargo, etc.) on Argentina at that time.
                        Wow, I didn't know that - I would have been -4 years old back then.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know that - I would have been -4 years old back then.
                          Wow. I am nine years older than you then.
                          Next:
                          None Planned

Comment

Varig to Tokyo...

The answer for your question is:

Yeah, I think Varig can use the long route to Tokyo with a stop in Europe, because when USA start to want Visa for passengers to Tokyo, the passengers are prefering travel to Brazil with a stop in Europe. That`s because the route GIG-GRU-LAX-NRT are having less then 60% in occupation of this flight. This flight was one of the most profitable flight for Varig some months ago. Today this flight aren`t profitable and I think how passengers prefer now to travel for Europe, then go to Brazil, I think Varig can start to think to change this route....

Did you understand?

I listen rumours that this flight can be with a stop in Zurich...
                            I am a lover of airplanes`world, and my favorite company in the world is Varig, and all which I can know about airlines I should know....

Comment

Re: Varig to Tokyo...

Originally posted by Rogério_Varig
                              ...when USA start to want Visa for passengers to Tokyo, the passengers are prefering travel to Brazil with a stop in Europe. That`s because the route GIG-GRU-LAX-NRT are having less then 60% in occupation of this flight. This flight was one of the most profitable flight for Varig some months ago. Today this flight aren`t profitable and I think how passengers prefer now to travel for Europe, then go to Brazil, I think Varig can start to think to change this route....
                              I find it really sad that the US government's cancellation of the Transit Without Visa policy is actually encouraging airlines to avoid having transit stops in the country. Another example of this is CX's HKG-YYZ flights, which used to stop at ANC but now stop at YVR due to paranoid airport security (I mean come on, none of the pax could get off or on at ANC).

Comment

Working...
                              X