Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 757 land at London City Airport

can it really

I think it could be possible seeing how some guy landed a 727 at ASE (Aspen, CO) just to prove it could be done.

Comment

Can a 757 land at London City Airport

No, it can't. Not only is the runway at LCY to short, but the planes that land there, land on a steep glide path that is about twice as steep as a normal approach (4.5° instead of 2.1° or so). Planes landing at LCY must have a special certification for that airport, and the 757 could never fulfill the requirements, so you still have to go to LHR, LGW, STN or LTN to see 757s land in London.

Comment

Re: Can a 757 land at London City Airport

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        No, it can't. Not only is the runway at LCY to short, but the planes that land there, land on a steep glide path that is about twice as steep as a normal approach (4.5° instead of 2.1° or so). Planes landing at LCY must have a special certification for that airport, and the 757 could never fulfill the requirements, so you still have to go to LHR, LGW, STN or LTN to see 757s land in London.
        Like I said, a guy landed a 727 at Aspen, CO, although it had no passengers, it is very steep approach with close mountains, so it probably could if you wanted to, not with pax or anything, but I believe it could be possible!

Comment

It may be physically possible, but it would be extremely dangerous and the aircraft would probably have to be configured exactly with no passengers, very light on fuel etc.

Comment

It would be very cool though...........although i think that when they want to leave again......the plane will have to be teken apart........ or is it possible to take off again with a 757 from there?
            check out www.atcbox.com

Comment

A standard Glideslope is 3 degrees.... Most of the airports that require steeper approaches are considerd "Special Use Airports" by ICAO. (Many other factors can make an airport special use as well) While I'm not 100% certain, I'm sure that LCY must be a SUA. The FAA's rule is that any PIC operating into a special use airport must familiarize himself/herself with the pertinent information to that airport. The FAA reserves the right to further restrict the airport to require the PIC to make thier first approach with a company check airman first before condutcting it themselves. the IGS to 13 at Kai Tak was one of theese.
              Thanks for clearing that up, N9103M

It would be very cool though...........although i think that when they want to leave again......the plane will have to be teken apart........ or is it possible to take off again with a 757 from there?
              Well, without any pax and some "Fat Albert"-style rockets under the wings it shouldn't be a problem .

Comment

Think the LCY glidescope is in the region of 7 to 7.5 degrees.

David

Comment

Originally posted by reverse_thrust

The 727 took off out of Aspen and a couple years ago an TWA MD-80 took off out of Craig county airport when it landed there instead of Steamboat Springs/Hayden!

Comment

Well i don't know the length of the runway there i do know an empty 757 gets off the ground alot quiker than you can stop one. Example, at the factory in Renton Washington where i was fortunate enough to catch a brand to 757 leaving this spring, the airplane gor off the ground n roughly 2300 FT. the runway is just around 5000FT. One the flights leave for boeing field or everet they can not return to renton due to runway length. Also they can only fly one direction out of the airport due to noise. Little piece on info hope it helps. Plus if you ever get the chance to stand on a taxi way 100 ft from where an empty 757 is making a take off run, i highly suggest you take it. it is an awesome experience.
                    I hope I die like my gradfather, peacefuly in his sleep. Not like his passengers screaming in horror.

Comment

a lil... but what planes do fly into lcy? commercial planes that is
                      ________
                      Buy Grinders

Comment

I'm sure it could, departing would be another matter

Comment

FightinYTMD10 :
                          I know that these planes are able to land there (just out of my head........so I might make a little error)
                          Saab 2000
                          saab 340 (?)
                          fokker 50
                          British Aerospace 146/RJ series
                          dash 8,
                          dash 7
                          dornier 228/328

and small business jets, and props ofcourse...........
                          anyone more?????
                          check out www.atcbox.com

Comment

Adding to reverse_thrusts post:
                            The ERJ-135/145 are also certified for LCY, as will be the Embraer 170.

Comment

Many thanks to DAL767-400ER and Reverse_thrust latest information which clearly lists what can land at LCY and what must divert altogether
                              not to mention the previous posts relating to the glide scope !
                              For me a SevenFive just cannot land there, or you do it straight to CanaryWarf !
                              Regards
                              Alain
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X