X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACA CRJ, meet Bus. Bus, meet ACA CRJ.

quote:
    Originally posted by Aeronautics:
    Is it that difficult to repair that part of the airplane? The rest of the plane looks still good.

The frame is damaged and can't be staightened like that of a car following a fender-bender, and one wing sliced into the bus. The airframe could probably be repaired but only at a higher cost than replacement on such a current model. But you are right the rest of the plane contains many parts that will likely be returned to market as spares by the insurance. Engines are a different matter: they can readily be used as is on any other aircraft of the same type if undamaged, maybe even on the new CRJ that will replace the damaged one on ACA's fleet.

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by Jim Knight:
      Just as an addendun to my post above, I reckon that the CRJ's engines could probably be used on the new jet, saing a few million more. It is likely that the insurance people will do their best to push those engines on the new airframe. I'm no expert, it's just common sense. Canadair engineers will tell.

Is it that difficult to repair that part of the airplane? The rest of the plane looks still good.

Comment

I guess that bus driver is out of work [img]images/smiles/icon_redface.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Jim. What about that CO bird? Total W/O? MD-80 is more pricey than a CRJ I'd think.
          JR FlyingTexan

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by FlyingTexan:
            Thanks for the reply, Jim. What about that CO bird? Total W/O? MD-80 is more pricey than a CRJ I'd think.

As far as I know that aircraft was returned to service, the frame being sound. It busted the terminal wall at about 2 mph and the nose is the sturdiest part of the aircraft. The CRJ is almost half the size and was rammed on its side at 30 mph by a heavy vehicle. The shockwaves in both mishaps can't begin to compare. Even a heavy aircraft hit by a bus could sustain extensive damage.

Comment

IN 2000 in Rio de Janerio, a TAP A340-312 was stuck on wing/fuselage by a catering truck. Do you know if that ship is still in service? I do not know the reg#.
              JR FlyingTexan

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by FlyingTexan:
                IN 2000 in Rio de Janerio, a TAP A340-312 was stuck on wing/fuselage by a catering truck. Do you know if that ship is still in service? I do not know the reg#.

CS-TOA,B,C, and D are all still in service so that aircraft was one of them.

Please don't post copyrighted photos that you have downloaded, especially from THAT site. Thanks! - Chris

I will email the photographer and get one from him... I know the guy. Thanks Chris. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ November 11, 2002 06:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by SST2707 ]

Comment

I definitely would not post a picture from THAT other site.
                  JR FlyingTexan

Comment

Working...
                  X