Pre-screening please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Nice chart, though I would amend it around the rejection/appeal stage - 'Accepted by screeners? -> No -> Check in forum if rejection was justified...'
    I didn't bother, because in the majority of cases (especially for beginners, like myself and Andrew) appeals are not upheld, nor justified.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvdl View Post
      Andrew, snide remarks will get you nowhere. You will really benefit a lot from the screeners' expertise. They're not being vindictive.

Try to follow this workflow for your photos.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]24622[/ATTACH]
      Nice chart, thanks for sharing!

Thanks,
      Andrew
      Andrew - CVG Spotter
      Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewBison View Post
        Nice chart, thanks for sharing!
        Follow it and heed the advice of the screeners.

Comment

• Hello,
          Please pre-screen these three photos, thank you!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940.CR2-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	1035303Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	1035304Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2039.jpg
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	1035305

BTW, the spots on the bottom of the photo on #3 is part of a fence, that I tried my best to crop out..

Thanks,
          Andrew
          Andrew - CVG Spotter
          Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Hello,
            Please pre-screen these three photos, thank you!
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]24677[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24678[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24679[/ATTACH]

BTW, the spots on the bottom of the photo on #3 is part of a fence, that I tried my best to crop out..

Thanks,
            Andrew
            Hi Andrew. Again, not a screener and not an expert either, but here goes.

1) The aircraft looks a little soft towards the nose for me. You could try to use a narrower aperture (f/8 or f/9 maybe) in future to get more of it in focus. Your aspect ratio on this one is not correct. Your photo is 1280 x 725, and it should be 1280 x 720 to make it a 16:9 ratio.

2) Aspect ratio: it's not 16:9, so it won't be acceptable as far as I'm aware. Your photo is too wide, with not enough height. You should be able to tell Lightroom to crop to a specific, standard aspect ratio. May need a very slight CCW rotation when looking at the verticals and a screener would need to judge the lighting and contrast. I think it's decent in terms of sharpness, though.

3) Same issue with the non-standard aspect ratio. It's not 16:9, 3:2, or 4:3. It's too wide and "squashed". There is a lot more space on the right than the left, so the crop needs work. Some softness towards the tail, and maybe a bit of chromatic aberration / colour fringing? Lighting and contrast should be judged by a screener.

Comment

Hi Andrew. Again, not a screener and not an expert either, but here goes.

1) The aircraft looks a little soft towards the nose for me. You could try to use a narrower aperture (f/8 or f/9 maybe) in future to get more of it in focus. Your aspect ratio on this one is not correct. Your photo is 1280 x 725, and it should be 1280 x 720 to make it a 16:9 ratio.

2) Aspect ratio: it's not 16:9, so it won't be acceptable as far as I'm aware. Your photo is too wide, with not enough height. You should be able to tell Lightroom to crop to a specific, standard aspect ratio. May need a very slight CCW rotation when looking at the verticals and a screener would need to judge the lighting and contrast. I think it's decent in terms of sharpness, though.

3) Same issue with the non-standard aspect ratio. It's not 16:9, 3:2, or 4:3. It's too wide and "squashed". There is a lot more space on the right than the left, so the crop needs work. Some softness towards the tail, and maybe a bit of chromatic aberration / colour fringing? Lighting and contrast should be judged by a screener.
              Hello, this photo was rejected for:
              Photo cropping/edges/Size ratio
              But I don't understand how, becuase in Lightroom, I set it to a 16:10 ratio when the file is downsized to 1280 pixels.
              I'm posting to see whether or not I should appeal, or if I can fix it, and re-submit it?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138-3.jpg
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	1035348
              UPDATE: I releazied that the ratio was messed up in Lightroom, and I didn't know that it didn't make the photo at the correct ratio. I just re-submitted the photo with a 16:10 ratio. Thank you!

HERE'S THE NEW AND IMPROVED ONE WITH A 16:10 RATIO: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138-4.jpg
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	1035349

Thanks,
              Andrew
              Andrew - CVG Spotter
              Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Hello, this photo was rejected for:
                HERE'S THE NEW AND IMPROVED ONE WITH A 16:10 RATIO
                Please read the upload guidelines.

You clearly have not read them as it lists 3 acceptable ratios and 16:10 is not one of them. Do not skim the guidelines - set aside 30 minutes of your day and work through them like you would for a textbook.

You can choose to keep ignoring the guidelines, but at some point the screeners are just going to limit your upload queue to 1 photo every 2 weeks.

Comment

Please read the upload guidelines.

You clearly have not read them as it lists 3 acceptable ratios and 16:10 is not one of them. Do not skim the guidelines - set aside 30 minutes of your day and work through them like you would for a textbook.

You can choose to keep ignoring the guidelines, but at some point the screeners are just going to limit your upload queue to 1 photo every 2 weeks.
                  Oh, OK. Thank you! I deleted the photo, and made it a 4:3 ratio, and then re-submitted the photo. Thank you!

Thanks,
                  Andrew
                  Andrew - CVG Spotter
                  Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Oh, OK. Thank you! I deleted the photo, and made it a 4:3 ratio, and then re-submitted the photo. Thank you!

Thanks,
                    Andrew
                    You may have way too much empty space and foreground clutter with that ratio. Why not crop to 16:9?

Comment

You may have way too much empty space and foreground clutter with that ratio. Why not crop to 16:9?
                      Good point, deleted and re-uploaded with a 16:9 ratio. Thank you!

Thanks,
                      Andrew
                      Andrew - CVG Spotter
                      Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

• Hello everyone,
                        I re-uploaded the photo with a 16:9 ratio, and then it got rejected for Over/Under Saturation, Hue
                        JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Should I appeal? If not, is there a way to fix this problem? In the color area of Lightroom, all I did was set a +8 vibrance, and that's all, and I do that to all my photos, and I never get Saturation rejections.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Thanks,
                        Andrew
                        Andrew - CVG Spotter
                        Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Hello everyone,
                          I re-uploaded the photo with a 16:9 ratio, and then it got rejected for Over/Under Saturation, Hue
                          JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Should I appeal? If not, is there a way to fix this problem? In the color area of Lightroom, all I did was set a +8 vibrance, and that's all, and I do that to all my photos, and I never get Saturation rejections.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Thanks,
                          Andrew
                          The photo has a green-ish/yellow-ish colour cast, which is easy to fix with the white balance tool.
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                            The photo has a green-ish/yellow-ish colour cast, which is easy to fix with the white balance tool.
                            Hello,
                            This photo was rejected for backlighting... I had a quick question. https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7366430
                            Before taking the photo, I had noticed that the sun might get in the way, and I moved as far away from the sun as possible, to avoid any possible backlighting. After thoroughly examining the photo before submitting it, I noticed that it was borderline backlit, and thus I'm asking if either I should appeal, or do you think it's fixable? The sun was actually behind the building, however, it did do some "discoloration" to the sky as it always does, but it's fairly borderline backlit IMHO.
                            Thank you!!

Thanks,
                            Andrew - CVG Spotter
                            Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Hello,
                              This photo was rejected for backlighting... I had a quick question. https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=7366430
                              Before taking the photo, I had noticed that the sun might get in the way, and I moved as far away from the sun as possible, to avoid any possible backlighting. After thoroughly examining the photo before submitting it, I noticed that it was borderline backlit, and thus I'm asking if either I should appeal, or do you think it's fixable? The sun was actually behind the building, however, it did do some "discoloration" to the sky as it always does, but it's fairly borderline backlit IMHO.
                              Thank you!!

Thanks,
                              The aircraft is genuinely backlit, not just borderline. The whole fuselage as seen from this angle is in its own shadow. I wouldn't appeal that one.
                              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                                The aircraft is genuinely backlit, not just borderline. The whole fuselage as seen from this angle is in its own shadow. I wouldn't appeal that one.
                                OK, I understand.. Thanks for the feedback!!

Thanks,
                                Andrew
                                Andrew - CVG Spotter
                                Canon T4i - 75-300mm

Comment

Working...
                                X