Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rejected b/c of "too much or too little contrast" - but which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejected b/c of "too much or too little contrast" - but which one?

Hi to everyone!

As someone who tries to improve the results of his photography work, I'm always keen on knowing why certain pictures are rejected - generally I very well DO trust the judgement of screeners. However, occasionally I fail to understand what they meant, as rejection categories sometimes are a bit enigmatic.

These two submissions were rejected due to "too much or too little contrast". Could you enlighten me: is it too much or too little contrast on the pictures?

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6075724

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6075727

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6075733

Originally posted by Vic Diesel View Post
    Hi to everyone!

As someone who tries to improve the results of his photography work, I'm always keen on knowing why certain pictures are rejected - generally I very well DO trust the judgement of screeners. However, occasionally I fail to understand what they meant, as rejection categories sometimes are a bit enigmatic.

These two submissions were rejected due to "too much or too little contrast". Could you enlighten me: is it too much or too little contrast on the pictures?

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6075724

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6075727

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6075733
    Too little.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Diesel View Post
      Hi to everyone!

Dear friends,
      As one can see again and again and as we can understand from all of these repeated questions, there are many photographers who have a difficulty with this reason.
      So I repeat once again:
      Please split this reason into two diferent reasons.
      This will make it easier for the photographers and this will reduce the number of questions on this matter.

Kind regards,
      Erez.

Comment

Erezs,
        Understanding how to read an histogram is a basic step and everyone should be able, via the histogram, to see if a plane has too much or too little contrast.

regards
        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
          Erezs,
          Understanding how to read an histogram is a basic step and everyone should be able, via the histogram, to see if a plane has too much or too little contrast.

regards
          Alex
          Alex,

Even if you are right, it is a real fact that there are many people who don't know how to read the histogram.

You can see for very long time how many questions there are about ''Too much or too little contrast''...

This is a clearly fact, and we can't argue about it.

Why is it so hard to make such a splitting?
          It is will helpful for the screeners, no less that it is will helpful for the photographers.

Kind regards,
          Erez.

Comment

Erezs,

regards
            Alex
            I agree - that is, if someone already learned how to "read" a histogram. It seems having fun at planespotting and photographing is not nearly enough - I shall do some serious tutorials to enhance my LR skills over the rookie level. Because honestly, I never thought that post-processing is taken THAT seriously. But thanks for the advice - even if it was more of a condescending remark style.

Comment

It was mostly directed at Erezs, with 9000+ photos in the database, reading an histogram and making the difference between too much or too little contrast should be the minimum...

But yeah for beginners, please check this short simple explanation : https://books.google.ch/books?id=Rk9...togram&f=false

Best regards
              Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

many thanks for the link. Everyone has to start somewhere - thanks for the hint!

Best regards,
                Viktor

Comment

It was mostly directed at Erezs, with 9000+ photos in the database, reading an histogram and making the difference between too much or too little contrast should be the minimum...

But yeah for beginners, please check this short simple explanation : https://books.google.ch/books?id=Rk9...togram&f=false

Best regards
                  Alex
                  Yes Alex,

I have more than 9,000 photos on the database, But for 15 years I have also about 90,000 rejections ...
                  So yes, I confess that it's difficult even for me to understand this issue.

Probably not all people are so perfect and so wise, unfortunately I'm not so perfect and not so wise.

I have no any problem with my decency to admit about it.
                  I have some drawbacks/defects, and at my oldset age I find it hard to learn things I did not learn in my youth.

The main point is not me, The main point is why is it so hard for you to split this reason?
                  Why this unnecessarily stubbornness?

After all, there is no doubt that my recommendation will benefit to everyone.

Therefore it's especially hard for me to understand the stubbornness to not split the above reason.

Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
                    The main point is not me, The main point is why is it so hard for you to split this reason?
                    Why this unnecessarily stubbornness?
                    That feels like my 1000th attempt at explaing it to you: BECAUSE IT IS NOT THAT EASY!!

Some examples:
                    - a photo with too little contrast as shown above is not alwas fixed by simply adding more contrast
                    - a dull looking aircraft with a washed out grey background is not fixed by adding more contrast
                    - a photo with too strong shadows but otherwise good midtones and highlights is not cured by adding less contrast
                    And so on ....

Regarding stubborness ... look, who's talking!!!
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                      That feels like my 1000th attempt at explaing it to you: BECAUSE IT IS NOT THAT EASY!!

Some examples:
                      - a photo with too little contrast as shown above is not alwas fixed by simply adding more contrast
                      - a dull looking aircraft with a washed out grey background is not fixed by adding more contrast
                      - a photo with too strong shadows but otherwise good midtones and highlights is not cured by adding less contrast
                      And so on ....

Regarding stubborness ... look, who's talking!!!
                      Gerardo,
                      I wrote an suggestion.
                      You don't have to accept it, but please write pleasantly and respectfully.
                      Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X