No announcement yet.

Cargo airplane collapsed in Kyrgyzstan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Les Abend has 31 years of flying experience. Not all of them in long-haul operations. (in commuter, domestic and regional, it is easier to accumulate more hours).
    So 18000/31 = 580 per year average. Probably more than that when he was flying DC-9s and less in the 767/777.

For flight experience (like when you say "how can it be a 744 captain with only 800 hours in the type?"), flight hours are counted only when an engine is up and running and you are acting as PIC or FO. Flight planning, checking weather, weight and balance, pre-flight, post-flight don't count. Also, the rest hours that you are in the plane (taking turns with other pilots) are not flight hours. Training hours don't count except the time that you are actually flying a sim. Even less do count off-duty hours, like commuting between hotels and airports, time spent in hotels away from home, etc.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      For flight experience (like when you say "how can it be a 744 captain with only 800 hours in the type?"), flight hours are counted only when an engine is up and running and you are acting as PIC or FO. Flight planning, checking weather, weight and balance, pre-flight, post-flight don't count. Also, the rest hours that you are in the plane (taking turns with other pilots) are not flight hours. Training hours don't count except the time that you are actually flying a sim. Even less do count off-duty hours, like commuting between hotels and airports, time spent in hotels away from home, etc.
      What about during final when you are sitting in the cockpit CPT or F/O seats are not paying attention to the instruments? Do those hours count as flying hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        What about during final when you are sitting in the cockpit CPT or F/O seats are not paying attention to the instruments? Do those hours count as flying hours?
        When HAL is flying you are logging important time and approach currency...whether you monitor instruments or movies on your I-Pad. Some communication with ATC may be required.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

And, don't forget, terrible accidents have happened under the watch of very experienced pilots. Do I need to mention Tenerife?
          Probably the best point raised here. Unfortunately I've come to dislike Sully because half of his talking points are "I have a lot of experience and that's why I was able to pull off the 1549" and "pilots should have more experience before they're allowed to fly because I am proof that you need hours to excel in bad situations".

Correlation does not imply causation. Causation does not imply correlation.

Van Zanten had 11700 total hours / 1545 747 hours.
          [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
            Hm. I think the important word is 'remaining in service'. Do we talk about the upgrade which the new President has experienced a few weeks ago, from 757 to 747?

I've never seen a VC-25 cockpit, not even photographed. The only thing that I know is, Barack Obama has been always very happy when he was on board his 747. And imho this is one of the very few (strongly modified) 747-200s that are still in service.

I'd bet that when Obama flew across the pond last time, his aircraft had 'antennas' at the wingtips. But this photo doesn't contain a view of the cockpit. My hope is, that Obama was in the air with a cockpit that's at least as modern as in a B744, so, glass PFDs, glass NDs, glass upper EICAS, et cetera et cetera...
            VC-25 has the 744 digital cockpit, as well as newer CF6s (same as the 744 and later build 743s).
            [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
              Probably the best point raised here. Unfortunately I've come to dislike Sully because half of his talking points are "I have a lot of experience and that's why I was able to pull off the 1549" and "pilots should have more experience before they're allowed to fly because I am proof that you need hours to excel in bad situations".
              So I guess that you gain all that experience by not flying until you have all that experience.

Correlation does not imply causation. Causation does not imply correlation.
              Actually, correlation does not prove causation, but causation causes correlation. There is no causation without correlation.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

VC-25 has the 744 digital cockpit, as well as newer CF6s (same as the 744 and later build 743s).
                My understanding is that it has more of a -300 cockpit as well.

Comment

I don't think he's quite said that. His point was more general, more along the lines of there is no substitute for experience. I don't recall him making himself some sort of a standard to aspire to.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                    I don't think he's quite said that. His point was more general, more along the lines of there is no substitute for experience. I don't recall him making himself some sort of a standard to aspire to.
                    The best experience that Sully used there was regarding decision making and gliders. I don't think that time in type was a strong factor.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      When HAL is flying you are logging important time and approach currency...whether you monitor instruments or movies on your I-Pad. Some communication with ATC may be required.
                      The point i'm trying to make is that 10,000 hours of bad habit piloting experience (in which you've always gotten away with it because 99.9999% of the time those fatal contributing factors aren't present) is worse than 100 hours of bad habit experience. The more flight hours a pilot with poor airmanship or CRM discipline has, the more confident the pilot is in his complacency, the more ingrained those bad habits become, the greater the risk.

I think hours mean something up to about 1000-1500 hours on type. I want the PIC to have that if possible. But beyond that, total hours are a poor way of judging how reliable a pilot is.

Hours of training is what matters. And the quality of those hours.

Comment

I read the German's posts, and just have to laugh. And here I am right down the street from him in Leipzig. Maybe we should get together tomorrow and have a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                          I read the German's posts, and just have to laugh. And here I am right down the street from him in Leipzig. Maybe we should get together tomorrow and have a beer?
                          BB, how many flight hours do you log in an average year?

Comment

BB, how many flight hours do you log in an average year?
                            About 600 - 700 Remember maximum for Part 121 is 1000

Comment

His testimony before Congress, regarding the 1500 hour minimum.
                              STATEMENT OF CHESLEY B. “SULLY” SULLENBERGER III   Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation April 28, 201…

He didn't directly praise himself, but he did praise his copilot. However, mentioned at the beginning about his hours and accomplishments.
                              [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                                About 600 - 700
                                I have to admit that's more than what I expected. How is your typical trip / week, and how many weeks per year are you off work, if you don't mind sharing?
                                Just want to check which one of my assumptions is wrong with you.

Remember maximum for Part 121 is 1000
                                Yup. 8 per day, 30 per week (and one day off), 100 per month, 1000 per year.

Comment

Working...
                                X