The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    well, at least you were honest enough to admit that your obvious bias disqualifies your opinion.
    That makes one of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
      That makes one of us.
      yup. i'm clearly biased against an industry that relies on excessive fees, hiding the ball, and deceiving its customers so its pilots can pay their mortgages.

Comment

• Let's be realistic on one thing. All this scheme, the incomprehensible (for the customer) ticket pricing, the cancellation and change fees, the baggage fees, the paid snacks, etc, all make up to the bottom line.
        If we went to a more reasonable scheme (as it was in the past), the base fare would go up to make up for the loss revenue in all the other categories.

In other words, I would end up paying more to let you change your ticket for free.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• ***Airlines***Financial Industry***I would end up paying more to let you change your ticket for free.***
          Interesting that one is often accused of preditory lending behavior that tends to target poor folks and make rich folks richer vs preditory fee behavior that tends to target relatively richer businesses travelers and results in cheaper travel for poorer folks.

Fascinating how you can spin rather gross assaults on common sense and borderline ethics.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
            If it helps pay my mortgage, then yeah, I think I can.
            You could also pay your mortgage by stopping people on the street at gunpoint and taking their money. Does that make it okay?
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by elaw View Post
              You could also pay your mortgage by stopping people on the street at gunpoint and taking their money. Does that make it okay?
              I hate to point this out but, 1. That’s illegal and 2. People consider that to be of very little value as compared to being whisked warmly and safely (but not dryly) from DFW to ELP.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                1. That’s illegal
                Only because we don't (yet) have a powerful bank-robbers lobby in this country, donating $millions to political campaigns.

Eric Law

Comment

• Dr. David Dao doesn’t recall officers dragging him off a United Airlines flight, but he does remember his reactions after seeing viral video of the 2017 incident that created a firestorm of controversy for the airline, he tells ABC News.

Comment

• United CEO Oscar Munoz: "It's an impossible situation... blah blah blah".

Please. If the airline can't book the flight so as to leave a seat available for a deadheading crewmember, that is to say, if the airline can't plan ahead and communicate with itself, that is not an 'impossible situation', that is a 'negligent situation'. That is chaos.

They should have either a) offered any passenger on the flight many thousands of dollars to give up their seat (justifiable if another entire plane-load of passengers at the destination depends on that crewmember) or b) paid many thousands of dollars to get him on a private flight or on another carrier.

That is one day I would have loved to have my five minutes on a Congression hearing committee...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      United CEO Oscar Munoz: "It's an impossible situation... blah blah blah".

Please. If the airline can't book the flight so as to leave a seat available for a deadheading crewmember, that is to say, if the airline can't plan ahead and communicate with itself, that is not an 'impossible situation', that is a 'negligent situation'. That is chaos.
                      I couldn't agree more. It's an entirely specious argument he's making there. Also, I found David Dao's comments really quite moving. I was impressed that multiple witnesses testified that he wasn't at all "disruptive and belligerent", as United claimed. He was literally dragged out of his seat simply because his condition for giving it up was that he should be put on any alternative flight to his destination that same day, not the next. A condition that United could easily have satisfied using another carrier.

Comment

• Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
                        I couldn't agree more. It's an entirely specious argument he's making there. Also, I found David Dao's comments really quite moving. I was impressed that multiple witnesses testified that he wasn't at all "disruptive and belligerent", as United claimed. He was literally dragged out of his seat simply because his condition for giving it up was that he should be put on any alternative flight to his destination that same day, not the next. A condition that United could easily have satisfied using another carrier.
                        HELPFUL TIP: When the flight crew says you have to get off the plane, and they aren't interested in discussing that decision, you best get off the plane. Then make a scene.

Comment

• Or... maybe we should reconsider giving flight crews (especially cabin crews) authority to do absolutely anything to absolutely anyone in their aluminum tube in the name of "safety", when the matter at hand has no connection whatsoever to safety.

Eric Law

Comment

HELPFUL TIP: When the flight crew says you have to get off the plane, and they aren't interested in discussing that decision, you best get off the plane. Then make a scene.
                            bullshit. their authority to remove pax is not unlimited. i pray for the day they "dao" me. i will not settle so quickly, but when i do i can then retire happily.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                              bullshit. their authority to remove pax is not unlimited. i pray for the day they "dao" me. i will not settle so quickly, but when i do i can then retire happily.
                              If they overpower you between 4 big guys who force you out of the plane with no or minimum injuries, on what grounds are you going to sue them for so much as to make a big, fat, happy retirement?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Interesting concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X