No announcement yet.

BREAKING: EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo has disappeared from radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan, Can you post the link to where you took that BBC quote? I've searched the BBC and could not find it.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
      That would be an accellerated fire. I consider that a valid possibility. One thing is fairly certain: this was not simply an electrical/insulation fire.
      Under investigation:
      German news stations also said that there must have been a fire. After that you don't really feel comfortable, especially if we discuss an a/c type that "we all fly":
      AA
      BA
      LH
      UA

But since March 24th, 2015, I know that Airbus provides reliable aircraft.
      ... ... ... ... ...

SR 111 for me was the last uncontrollable fire in a jet in Europe, due to aircraft failure. So, I am interested in a solution for this flight,
      not only as a passenger in Europe, but also as an aviation enthusiast.
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Evan, Can you post the link to where you took that BBC quote? I've searched the BBC and could not find it.
        Ahh, sorry, it was the New York Times.

Investigators do not know, however, if the blaze that is thought to have caused the plane to come apart was an accident or caused by terrorism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
          Ahh, sorry, it was the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/23/wo...rash-fire.html
          Thanks. Here is another fragment:

The lack of intact human remains is another indicator of a midair breakup, experts said.
          What expert would say such a thing? A midair breakup tends to leave bodies in one piece. A high-energy impact, on the other hand...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

What expert would say such a thing? A midair breakup tends to leave bodies in one piece. A high-energy impact, on the other hand...
            Maybe a journalist who doesn't translate the details very well. I was more interested in the CVR statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
              SR 111 for me was the last uncontrollable fire in a jet in Europe,
              Sweet Queen Ka'ahumanu! When did they move Halifax to Europe?

Comment

Thanks. Here is another fragment:

I recognize that we are starved on facts, but we need to take a deep breath and not over analyze every little nugget from the press.

Most data suggests that there was a fire...and then the plane crashed. Seems to make good sense, and whether it hit the water in tact, or broke up 'due to loss of control' is less important. The 'new' 'leaks' generally support that scenario.

The question needs to be what started the fire.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                  Sweet Queen Ka'ahumanu! When did they move Halifax to Europe?

There he goes again!

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post

SR 111 for me was the last uncontrollable fire in a jet in Europe subsequent to SR111, due to aircraft failure. So, I am interested in a solution for this flight,
                    not only as a passenger in Europe, but also as an aviation enthusiast.
                    There was the Ethiopian 787-8 that caught fire at LHR subsequent to SR111. Fortunately this fire occurred on the ground and was extinguished but caused severe damage to the aircraft. If it had occurred in flight it may have led to a crash. Reading para 1.15.2.3 of the final report (https://assets.publishing.service.go...015_ET-AOP.pdf) leads me to thing extinguishing the fire in flight might be difficult to accomplish.

Comment

• That sounds like the fire spread very quickly. Far too quick to be unassisted.
                      One thing always puzzles me is this: You can't take accelerants and ignition sources through the security check but you can buy them in the departure lounge.

Comment

• Will we ever see a report on this?

Comment

• The investigators found traces of explosives... after 7 months???

On Dec 15th 2016 Egypt's Civil Aviation Authority announced, that forensic examination on behalf of the Accident Investigation Commission has found traces of explosives with some of the human remains recovered. In accordance with Egypt law the states prosecutor has been informed, a technical commission formed by the prosecution office have opened their investigation into the crime.
                          Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Comment

The investigators found traces of explosives... after 7 months???

http://avherald.com/h?article=4987fb09&opt=0
                            Investigators announced after 7 months that forensic examination had found traces of explosives.

The matter has been a subject of diplomatic struggle between France and Egypt over the past weeks, as France put pressure on Egypt to release remnants of bodies to relatives. Now we know (officially) what may have caused the delay

Comment

• Traces of TNT were discovered in September but the Egyptian authorities denied this. In a similar way to their denying the plane made a right hand turn, only to confirm it later. They are as reliable as the Indonesians or the Italians!!!

Comment

• This seems to point to a bomb on board but we also know there are other possible explanations for explosive reside on certain passengers. The flight recorders have been in their possession for ages, so they should know a lot of other things that would tell us if a bomb could have brought this plane down. The key question is: what caused the plane to lose control and plummet into the sea? Was it an initial explosion? Doesn't seem to fit. Decompression also wasn't indicated in the ACARS data. Was it a subsequent fire that could not be extinguished? Seems likely, but why did it spread so fast? Was it obsolete insulation materials? Arcing circuitry beyond detection by cb's? Bomb or not, these are the things we need to know. And they should have a lot more than explosive residue to work with. Again, will we ever see a report on this???

Comment

Working...
                                X