No announcement yet.

707 crashes after landing in wrong, too short runway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be even clearer, a KC-135 is NOT a 707, it's a 720.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      First I heard of that. The KC-135 and the B707 are the nearly identical offspring of the Dash-80. One went into the service and the other got a civilian job. The B720 was also a pax jet.

The KC-135 is more nearly identical to the B720, I'll grant you that.

Ok, enough about magenta lines in 707's. I thought I would get you on a technicallty but then you got me on a technicality. (Still I bet there are surviving 707's out there with a little aftermarket nav help plugged into the lighter socket).

Comment

Not really. The 720 is a derivative of the 707, originally the 707-020, but renumbered 720 for United. The 707 and 720 are, crucially, the wider fuselage airframes (military designations C-137, E-3, E-6....), while the C-135 is a narrower fuselage airframe. The (K)C-135 carries the Boeing model number 717. Different airframe structures derived from the 367-80.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          With slap-on avionics becoming so cheap, why do pilots still fly without GPS nav displays?
          Avionics-slapping is kind of frowned upon by the FAA...
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
            Not really. The 720 is a derivative of the 707, originally the 707-020, but renumbered 720 for United. The 707 and 720 are, crucially, the wider fuselage airframes (military designations C-137, E-3, E-6....), while the C-135 is a narrower fuselage airframe. The (K)C-135 carries the Boeing model number 717. Different airframe structures derived from the 367-80.
            With over 3000 hours in 707's and 720's, would you like to place a $$$ bet on that one? I also have about 3 dozen friend's that are ex KC, E-3 E-6 and E-8 drivers. And another 2 dozen from the 89th airlift wing.

Comment

With over 3000 hours in 707's and 720's, would you like to place a $$$ bet on that one? I also have about 3 dozen friend's that are ex KC, E-3 E-6 and E-8 drivers. And another 2 dozen from the 89th airlift wing.
              3WE, remember to open a corner of the bag and turn it halfway though. This helps prevent unpopped kernels.

Comment

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking me to bet on, but I think it’s generally accepted that the 720 was a short/medium haul derivative of the 707, and nothing to do with the 717/KC-135, which was a different airframe (hence Boeing used 707 and 717 as model numbers to distinguish them). No doubt in the overall Boeing enterprise there were all kinds of cross-over development lessons between their airframes, but if you’re telling me, as you did, that ‘a KC-135 is a 720’, I’d have to disagree and ask you to substantiate that.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                  Avionics-slapping is kind of frowned upon by the FAA...
                  Iran is kind of frowned upon by the USA. It doesn't seem to stop them from cobbling jets together.

Some of the surviving 707's have had partial third-party glass conversion jobs done. Check this one out. It IS a civilian 707. Probably a magenta line in there somewhere...

Cockpit of a private 707. Taken at Millville Airshow 2005. N88ZL. Boeing 707-330B. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

The KC-135 has the Dash-8's five-abreast cabin width. The 707/720 was widened to a six-abreast width. Point HalcyonDays.

(BTW: the E3 was not a purpose-built airframe like the KC-135. It IS a 707 airframe.)

Comment

Oh, Come on, Bobby, don't just casually mention 89th MAW, tell "us" who they actually are and what they do. I mean, if you're going to namedrop...

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                        I’d have to disagree and ask you to substantiate that.
                        I, for my part, would like to ask how it is that in over a decade you only have around 1,300 posts. What happened there?

Comment

I should have known better!

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                            Oh, Come on, Bobby, don't just casually mention 89th MAW, tell "us" who they actually are and what they do. I mean, if you're going to namedrop...
                            I would tell you but then, well you know the rest.

Comment

I would tell you but then, well you know the rest.
                              Oh, no worries, one of their old panel drivers was my systems instructor at my previous airline. In general, for a regional airline, they had surprisingly high-caliber instructors. My sim instructor was a retired AA 767 driver who graduated from a small school called Harvard University.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                                3WE, remember to open a corner of the bag and turn it halfway though. This helps prevent unpopped kernels.
                                Indeed.

Some contextual confusion- at least I think.

Magenta lines seem like a nice thing to have, as the best of pilots seem to occasionally land at the wrong place, and maybe they could get the pilots an I-pad.

But you are so black and white that Bobby interprets you demanding the installation of glass in all aeroplanies.

707...720...KC-135...

We don't really care...they have four wondrously loud low bypass turbofans AND, the ole steam gauge Bobby style flying is romantic.
                                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                                X