Air Berlin pilots suspended after unnecessary go-around at Düsseldorf Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    This is supposed to be in blue isn't it?

No, I'm serious. If this was a perfectly safe maneuver (as it certainly seemed to be), then what's the big deal? A bit more fuel burn AB is never going to pay for? A bit more wear on an aircraft AB is giving up on? Frightened passengers AB no longer cares about?

Or is this, in fact, about safety?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      But let me ask you instead... why do YOU think the AB pilot was suspended over this? What do you think their reasoning was?
      PR. Or discipline (the pilots in my videos did that with permission from and coordination with the airline). The chain fails at its weakest link.

And the second flyby (3rd video) is not clean but takeoffish config.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        PR. Or discipline (the pilots in my videos did that with permission from and coordination with the airline). The chain fails at its weakest link.

And the second flyby (3rd video) is not clean but takeoffish config.
        Well, almost clean, and much faster, plenty of energy, and no low-altitude mid-field bank action...

On another note, can we discuss the inherent danger of playing Aerosmith during those sterile cockpit phases of flight?

Comment

Wait, wait, a German airport, a German airline and a German pilot but no comments from our German friend?????

Comment

Wait, wait, a German airport, a German airline and a German pilot but no comments from our German friend?????
            What is more, his home airport too.

Comment

Jesus H Christ! You lot are asking for trouble now !!
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                No, I'm serious. If this was a perfectly safe maneuver (as it certainly seemed to be), then what's the big deal? A bit more fuel burn AB is never going to pay for? A bit more wear on an aircraft AB is giving up on? Frightened passengers AB no longer cares about?

Or is this, in fact, about safety?
                Apparently, he terrified people outside the terminal who thought he was going to crash into it. Pfft.

The pilots of the bankrupt airline marked its final long distance flight by turning the plane on its side and flying worryingly close to Dusseldorf Airport terminal.

I am with Gabriel here. Executives who run an airline into the ground are not going to be happy about it. Someone showboating without permission just makes everyone dwell on the bad news more embarrassing the execs further. It sounds like it was the airline that suspended them.

Comment

Wait, wait, a German airport, a German airline and a German pilot but no comments from our German friend????? [***and his home airport***]
                  BUT...NOT_a Lufthansa 747-800

THAT is rather critical.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    BUT...NOT_a Lufthansa 747-800

THAT is rather critical.

If I had the balls on my last flight, I could see doing that in a -8. What were they going to do, fire me?

Comment

If I had the balls on my last flight, I could see doing that in a -8. What were they going to do, fire me?
                      ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED IN THE PROPER PROCEDURE...Otherwise, your ability to do so, is in question...
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED IN THE PROPER PROCEDURE...Otherwise, your ability to do so, is in question...
                        As stated in my original post, that might burn a few $ of jet fuel, AND the maintenance expenses make for a couple of bucks for every minute of extra flight time...they might want to hit you with those expenses by one means or another...(fortunately, Tee Vee is somewhat anti-big-corporations, he might help you out.)

PS: I seem to recall that "go-arounds" were somewhat frowned upon at the prior employer (versus some other organizations where pilots are told to be free to go around if there is just about any meaningful doubt at all, almost-whatsoever.) (Wiggle words are important here).

Comment

Reminds me of Capt Mark Pyle who did something similar on PanAm's last flight.

Comment

Oh, I think I could handle it okay. And at Atlas, a go around was not questioned.

Comment

Oh, I think I could handle it okay.
                              What do you thin would have been the answer of Atlas's Chief Pilot or Ops Director if you had asked permission to do that flyby?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                What do you thin would have been the answer of Atlas's Chief Pilot or Ops Director if you had asked permission to do that flyby?
                                What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X