Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of Camera and which brand do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Canons, with a various assemblage of lenses (300, 70-200, 24-105, 85) and a couple of teleconvertors thrown in.

I went with Canon after reading some of the reviews on their L lenses, which are really good. But as someone else in the thread already pointed out, the Nikon vs Canon vs (add your own here) is pointless. Most DSLRs these days are comparable. The real challenge is in the PP work done afterwards.

Comment

Well.... my 1st SLR was a Pentax ME ... way back in the day !
      Changed to Canon in mid 1990's going from 500N /EOS 5 , then went onto owning D60 ,10D , 20D , 30D and currently 40D plus still have the 20D

It could have been very different as Canon was the deal on offer at the time , could very easily have been Nikon ... ive no feeling either way !

Id have say ill now stay with Canon due to the aray of lenses i have aquired over the years .

Cheers Tony

Comment

Isn't Panasonic even considered by the big guys?

Comment

Nikon all the way for myself.

D80, D100 and D300

Nikkor 18-135, 24-120VR. Sigma 120-300 EX and 1.4X and 2X converters.
          Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
          http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

First two (film) cameras were Nikon; I don't even remember the models.

First DSLR was a Canon Rebel XT (350D) with a 75-300mm IS lens.

Now I am using a Canon Rebel XSi with a EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. Despite what a lot of people liked to say, equipment matters and I finally got a decent acceptance rate.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysconcorde View Post
              Isn't Panasonic even considered by the big guys?
              Sure .... as soon as we talk about TV or DVD equipment!

Sorry, but for us elitist snobs, everything outside the Canon/Nikon frame is just ... well .... nice to talk about, unless we want ta start discussing the Hasselblads of this world. While building a camera shouldn't be rocket science for the top companies, there is simply a spiritual affinity to the cameras we started with.

It's like Formula 1 without Ferrarri, McLaren, Sauber-BMW, Renault ... in other words: ask again next year!
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Canon and Olympus

As a teenager I appropriated my father's Canon AE-1 and assorted lenses. I was quite happy with the results I was getting so when I switched to digital in 2004 I stuck with the Canon brand.

I am now using a 40D, my third Canon body (300D was stolen, its replacement, a 350D, was sold when I picked up the 40D). I have been quite pleased with the image quality from those bodies and their ease of use.

In terms of Canon compatible glass, I have owned, aftermarket, Canon L, Canon mid grade and Canon basic consumer grade glass. The IQ of the images I have taken, with my 70-200mm F4 L and 70-300mm IS, has been fantastic.

My only real complaint with Canon is the huge variability in quality with their the consumer grade glass. Over time I have owned three of the 18-55mm models (latest is the IS model). The first copy produced great images (alas it was on my 300D when stolen) . The second was sold with my 350D and the images it produced were 'muddy' as compared to my first copy. My current IS version is in the middle of the pack, better than my sold copy but still decidedly inferior to my original 18-55mm. I saw similar quality variation with the 55-200mm USM IIs I used/sampled when I was shooting with that lens.

I recently picked up an Olympus E-410 two lens kit for $400 at closeout for use as a travel camera. The small size, build quality and controls are fantastic but the the rather narrow dynamic range makes high contrast shots incredibly difficult to capture (even using raw with the camera settings tweaked). If I had my time back I would not have purchased that one, despite the apparent deal.

cheers

Mark

Comment

Nikon - started with an F50 film cam then onto a nikon d50,then onto a D80,currently have the 18-135 (very versatile zoom range) & the sigma 70-200mm F2.8 which is a nice step in terms of sharpness i find over a standard 70-300mm.
                  Passing through singapore later in the year thinking of a D90 but probably just pick up a 2x converter instead.

Comment

Started digital with Nikon 3200 and then 4600. Then I got the Canon Powershot S3 IS a couple years ago. This year I received the Canon XSi for my birthday along with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-250. Both have IS. I've played around with friends' Canons before, so I really like them.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer View Post
                      Started digital with Nikon 3200 and then 4600. Then I got the Canon Powershot S3 IS a couple years ago. This year I received the Canon XSi for my birthday along with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-250. Both have IS. I've played around with friends' Canons before, so I really like them.
                      Congradulations on getting the Canon Rebel XSi! Can't wait to see some of your photos with it.
                      Originally posted by NF Spotter View Post
                      As a teenager I appropriated my father's Canon AE-1 and assorted lenses. I was quite happy with the results I was getting so when I switched to digital in 2004 I stuck with the Canon brand.

I am now using a 40D, my third Canon body (300D was stolen, its replacement, a 350D, was sold when I picked up the 40D). I have been quite pleased with the image quality from those bodies and their ease of use.

In terms of Canon compatible glass, I have owned, aftermarket, Canon L, Canon mid grade and Canon basic consumer grade glass. The IQ of the images I have taken, with my 70-200mm F4 L and 70-300mm IS, has been fantastic.

My only real complaint with Canon is the huge variability in quality with their the consumer grade glass. Over time I have owned three of the 18-55mm models (latest is the IS model). The first copy produced great images (alas it was on my 300D when stolen) . The second was sold with my 350D and the images it produced were 'muddy' as compared to my first copy. My current IS version is in the middle of the pack, better than my sold copy but still decidedly inferior to my original 18-55mm. I saw similar quality variation with the 55-200mm USM IIs I used/sampled when I was shooting with that lens.

I recently picked up an Olympus E-410 two lens kit for $400 at closeout for use as a travel camera. The small size, build quality and controls are fantastic but the the rather narrow dynamic range makes high contrast shots incredibly difficult to capture (even using raw with the camera settings tweaked). If I had my time back I would not have purchased that one, despite the apparent deal.

cheers

Mark
                      I agree Mark, Canon's lenses can be of very different qualities. The 18-55 has had a few problems of lenses being of different qualities, but overall I think it's a pretty good kit lens. My friend had quite a few problems with the Canon 55-200 mm lens, and he had to get 2 replacements before he finally got a good piece. The Canon 70-300 mm lens is amazingly good! One thing I never liked about Canon is the fact that only the high-end lenses have USM. I was highly dissapointed that the $500 18-200 mm lens didn't have USM. Nikon lenses on the other hand, have VR in many of their lower-end lenses.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Sony Alpha 700 and Minolta Dynax 5D

with lenses:
                        Minolta 100-400
                        Sony 70-300G
                        Minolta 28-135
                        Minolta 70-210
                        --------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                          Congradulations on getting the Canon Rebel XSi! Can't wait to see some of your photos with it.
                          A few are already up on here. More to come.

Comment

I got the Nikon D5000 with a Nikkor 18-105 VR lens kit. I got this DSLR as I have never had one before and am just learning about all of the aspects of good photography .

It is quite a good camera and allows you to do many different things. It is probably not as good as the Nikon D300 or D700, but compares to the D90 and is very good for beginners.

Here is one I took recently.

Nehal

Comment

Canon 70-300mm

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                              ... The Canon 70-300 mm lens is amazingly good!
                              My 70-300mm IS was fantastic...

A year or so ago, however, it was dropped on to pavement. This knocked it out of alignment. Canon Canada serviced it last December and while it is now much better than it was after the 'knock' it is still not up to scratch. The farthest right 1/5th of the image being much softer than the rest of the frame. Once an image is cropped to 1024 wide it is fine, but for most shots I now stick with the 70-200L F4. Luckily in these parts one rarely needs more that 200mm worth of reach.

cheers

Mark

Comment

Nikon for me. Funnily enough the reason I chose the nikon was becasue it just felt right in my hand. The Canon felt like a toy.

Currently use a D300, a D200, and covet a D700.

Comment

Working...
                                X