No announcement yet.

Southwest Airlines Engine Failure, Passenger Near Sucked Out of the Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Photo which I was able to revive in #9 for me is not only a lost nacelle heating.

An animal with a rather big mouth has eaten a good portion of the nacelle, and it completely swallowed the big rotator of the turbofan engine? The nacelle almost seems completely empty, left engine completely gone (?). I looked it up, the 737-700 nacelle is .. 1,54 m high (not much more than 5 ft 1 inch). But for a completely lost jet engine that's more than enough.
    So, who ate that engine inflight and why, and where is it now?
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

One of the NTSB's Twitter accounts has some close up pictures of the engine.

Comment

Apparently the damaged window is not the one where these pictres of the engine were taken from but quite further back, even after the wing. Look at the picture of the whole plane in avherald. http://avherald.com/h?article=4b7725fb&opt=0

If that's the case, then the window was likely taken out by a "low energy" flying debris like a piece of cowling rather than any high-energy rotating part like a blade. I am going wild speculation mode here, but IF the reports of blood everywhere are correct, and since the picture of the broken window area shows no sign of blood, I will say that the dead people was hit by a high-energy fragment (perhaps a quite small one) that pierced the fuselage in a quite inconspicuous way, several rows ahead of the broken window /clean seat.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

First fatal accident in an American jet airliner since...????

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            February 12, 2009.
            Colgan Air Flight 3407

Comment

AVHerald comments say the fan was still intact, with one broken blade.

Listening to ATC shows how professional the pilots were. The controller was more spooked and mixed up the runways several times.

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Southwest flight 1380 (a Boeing 737) had catastrophic engine failure that seemed to also penetrate the main cabin causing at least...

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
                Originally posted by Gabriel
                February 12, 2009.
                Colgan Air Flight 3407
                I was asking for a Jet airliner accident.

Comment

I was asking for a Jet airliner accident.

??
                  AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Originally posted by orangehuggy
                  the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

Comment

The NTSB reporting that a single fan blade seperated at the root and displayed signs of metal fatigue. No mention of further damage to the other sections. Sort of seems to me like an inspection negligence thing, have to see how far that engine was between inspections.

The pilot called repeatedly for "brace". I suppose this is SOP for high-speed landings, or if there are controllabillity issues. They opted to land with flaps 5.

One of the male passengers tried to use himself as a plug to seal the broken window. Nice gesture....

Comment

Missing blade. The rest of the blades look surprisingly in good shape. Would that mean that the broken blade flew straight out radially not toucing any other blade?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-18T005733Z_241261531_RC11C97CFF70_RTRMADP_3_PENNSYLVANIA-AIRPLANE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1027424

Comment

4 words guys, they need to hapen at the same time (it's an AND operator, not an OR):
                        American AND Jet AND Airliner AND Fatal accident.

Colgan lacks Jet, this Learjet lacks airliner.

Do we need to go as far back as AA587? (AA A300 that lost its fin taking off from JFK and crashed in Queens, more than 16 years ago)

Comment

If you'll accept a "puddle jumper" it looks like that would be Comair 5191 in August 2006. The last "airliner" crash with fatalities I could find was American 587 in November 2001.

I say "crash" because there were airliner accidents with fatalities after AA 587 but they involved ground operations. A 737 where a maintenance worker got sucked into an engine, and a DC-9 where a tug operator got pinned between the tug and the aircraft.
                          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Is that a hole in the fuselage under the "t" of South? And I believe that the broken window is hidden by the winglet or further back out of frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Accidente-avion-filadelfia-Southwest-1920-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1027425

Comment

Apparently the damaged window is not the one where these pictres of the engine were taken from but quite further back, even after the wing. Look at the picture of the whole plane in avherald. http://avherald.com/h?article=4b7725fb&opt=0

If that's the case, then the window was likely taken out by a "low energy" flying debris like a piece of cowling rather than any high-energy rotating part like a blade. I am going wild speculation mode here, but IF the reports of blood everywhere are correct, and since the picture of the broken window area shows no sign of blood, I will say that the dead people was hit by a high-energy fragment (perhaps a quite small one) that pierced the fuselage in a quite inconspicuous way, several rows ahead of the broken window /clean seat.
                              Sadly, the latest news says the women pulled into the window is the one who died, and they were performing CPR on her immediately after she was pulled back into the plane. It sounds like she died from the trauma of being violently sucked into the window, not an impact. Additionally, the sequence of events provides some clues as to the damage because there were two reported explosions, the first, after which the oxygen masks dropped. I assume the window was cracked at this point and leaking air. Then it was followed by a second explosion (the window exploding out of the plane) when all hell broke loose.

Missing blade. The rest of the blades look surprisingly in good shape. Would that mean that the broken blade flew straight out radially not toucing any other blade?
                              My guess is that the blade would deflect forward off of multiple blades multiple times and shred the cowling in the front before exiting out the front and then up or down below the wing. I am guessing the damage to the window was some part of the cowling or other large engine parts. As they detach they could easily get pulled toward the fuselage whereas a light spinning blade deflected all over the place would probably not make it that far over, and would likely have lost a ton of energy by the time it ends up flying out forward.

I suspect they might even find the containment worked? I am very sad about the passenger, and I wonder if a seat belt might have saved her. That is a seat I often like to sit in...

Comment

4 words guys, they need to hapen at the same time (it's an AND operator, not an OR):
                                American AND Jet AND Airliner AND Fatal accident.

Colgan lacks Jet, this Learjet lacks airliner.

Do we need to go as far back as AA587? (AA A300 that lost its fin taking off from JFK and crashed in Queens, more than 16 years ago)
                                Wasn't there an AA flight that crashed when the pilots took off from the wrong runway and crashed ran they ran out of length?

Comment

Working...
                                X