777 Crash and Fire at SFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fmedina View Post
    CNN just reported at least 2 fatalities. First fatalities in 777 history, as I understand it.

Very sad.
    Pilots kill airplanes...!, airplanes never kill pilots...!
    A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Out of fuel? Fatigue + AP/AT failure?

Comment

Originally posted by georgel View Post
        Out of fuel? Fatigue + AP/AT failure?
        Seems like this like very well might be simply pilot error. Fuel starvation would have likely eliminated a large fire.

In some pictures it seems that the flaps are not deployed, but I suspect that is because they were ripped off.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
          Seems like this like very well might be simply pilot error. Fuel starvation would have likely eliminated a large fire.

In some pictures it seems that the flaps are not deployed, but I suspect that is because they were ripped off.
          Could this have been a manual landing for pilot certification, and thus pilot error? We know they came in above the glideslope and thus may have had a high sink rate - perhaps they didnt power up quickly enough when they realized they were short? AP shouldnt have let this happen hence my suggestion maybe it was a manual landing.

Comment

Originally posted by mawheatley View Post
            Gabriel - it was BA at LHR, not LH.
            Right. Thanks & fixed.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by obmot View Post
              Could this have been a manual landing for pilot certification, and thus pilot error? We know they came in above the glideslope and thus may have had a high sink rate - perhaps they didnt power up quickly enough when they realized they were short? AP shouldnt have let this happen hence my suggestion maybe it was a manual landing.
              Earlier the media was interviewing a 777 pilot and he said that you very nearly have to deliberately crash the 777 since it has so many safety features to prevent just such an event. Not saying this was intentional, just that it is very hard to fly the plane into the ground like this.

But I tend to agree that a fully manual landing that went wrong sounds plausible.

Comment

Fuel exhaustion would have. Fuel starvation not necessarily.[/QUOTE]

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Earlier the media was interviewing a 777 pilot and he said that you very nearly have to deliberately crash the 777 since it has so many safety features to prevent just such an event. Not saying this was intentional, just that it is very hard to fly the plane into the ground like this.

But I tend to agree that a fully manual landing that went wrong sounds plausible.
                  I agree.

But both BA and TK were on AP.

The AP can't keep the plane flying if there is not enough thrust to sustain flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    Fuel exhaustion would have. Fuel starvation not necessarily.
                    True, and I interchanged starvation for exhaustion. I would expect that exhaustion would be more likely, since if they were that low on fuel, there would been something said to ATC.

Comment

I would expect that exhaustion would be more likely, since if they were that low on fuel, there would been something said to ATC.
                      ????

Fuel starvation is the engine(s) not receiving (enough) fuel.
                      It could be due to different things like a blockage somewhere along the fuel lines (like the fuel filter), the engine being fed from a wrong (empty) tank, a rupture in the fuel line, or.... fuel exhaustion.

Comment

Thanks B757300, I forgot to add my usual disclaimer...I am an enthusiast only not a pilot of any sort (other than handling the controls of my dads Cess150 a few times) and as such I have no authority/basis whatsoever for my theories lol.

I'm glad almost everyone made it out ok - I wonder if some flight attends were seated near that rear bulkhead - not a good place to be in this particular event.

Comment

Update the just concluded press conference

181 transported to the hospital with 49 serious, 132 were taken to the hospital after being checked onsite. There rest are uninjured and at the terminal.

2 dead and 1 person still unaccounted for.

Comment

Let me just translate, what until now has been present at austrianwings dot info, an Austrian aviation information service, based at LOWW.

An Asiana B772ER crashed during arrival at KSFO, a/c reg HL7742, flight number OZ214 Inch'eon - SF Bay Intl, with 291 pax aboard + 12 crew members.

KSFO 28R was their scheduled arrival... For all jp members who are able to translate, this is the link:
                            Fliegen, Reisen, Flugverkehr, Luftfahrt, Luftverkehr, Tourismus, Reportagen, Luftfahrtvideos, Spotter, Spotten, Planespotting, Planespotter Journalismus, Fachjournalismus, Luftfahrtjournalismus, Luftfahrtmagazin, Fachmagazin zum Thema Luftfahrt, Magazin, Medium, Fachmedium, Luftfahrtmedium, Flugzeitschrift
                            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

CNN has "Scary" Mary on.

And I thought Wolf was as low as they could go.

Comment

CNN has "Scary" Mary on.

And I thought Wolf was as low as they could go.
                                Too low at KSFO? Well, until now I've only been getting to know the KSFO approaches with pmdg B744 fsx. But my last fsx arrival at KSFO is one or two weeks ago. I don't remember huge mountains in the gs if you perform the West approach, quite the contrary. We come in very smooth above water, isnt't it like that?

I'm curious about the circumstances. Is there anybody who is able to report the live SF bay weather? The last report that I've found is from July 6th, 1756 KSFO time local: VFR conditions, 250@13, clouds not below 1100, vis 10, 66F/19C, alt 2975.
                                Precipitation is missing at flightaware, but SFO 28R is 11,877 ft long, this is long enough also in rainy conditions, not only imho.

We don't think that a B772ER needs more space than a pmdg B744X...

I'd say, not perfect conditions for autoland, but always manageable. What would you say?

PS: My Avatar was indeed filmed at KSFO!
                                Last edited by LH-B744; 2013-07-07, 01:58. Reason: KSFO weather
                                The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                                The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                                And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                                This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
                                X