Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when flying??

Just curious

what does everyone do when they're cruising on Flight Sim? im particularly interested in flights longer than a couple of hours and longhauls

I usually dont do any routes longer than one hour (LHR > EDI, AMS, MAN sorta stuff) so after reaching the cruising altitude and straight line I just sit back and enjoy until new command's been given by ATC.

So lets hear yours.

I actually don't do any flights longer than 15 minutes :P I did fly from LAX to SAN a couple of times which took around 40 minutes but I try to keep my flights short and simple, and I love flying inverted, sideways, backwards, diagnolly, straight up, and down And yes, aerobatic flying is what I mostly do in FS as well as just the take-off and landing parts with commercial's

Comment

40 minutes from LAX to SAN? What were you flying? A Piper Cub???!

Longest I've flown while sitting in front of the PC was DEN-LAS and LAX-SEA.

-Clovis

Comment

I'll do any flight length. I'll leave my computer on overnight and wake up in the morning to finsh. But only on weekends.
        Intel P4 Extreme Edition
        120GB Western Digital hard drive
        Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard
        2GB of DDR400 Kingston RAM PC3200
        Nvidia Geforce FX5950 ultra
        480watt power supply
        Sony CRX320E Combo Drive
        1.44MB floppy drive
        sound audigy 2 sound card

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
          40 minutes from LAX to SAN? What were you flying? A Piper Cub???!
          I got lost with a DL 757

Comment

I usually just keep looking out the various windows or go to external views and take some screenshots.

Comment

A typical flight for me on the sim would be in a Britannia 752. Manchester to Malaga, Alicante, Tenerife, Naples etc are mostly the routes that I do.

I sit at my PC while flying, I don't usually go off for half an hour and just leave itlike some people that I know do, if you do it doesn't feel like your flying. Afterall, there's frequecy changes and intersection turning that you have to do so I suppose it's just easier to stay at your PC

Comment

What do you do when flying??

Depends. I usually do many commercial flights, with the longest having been ATL-BDA, and in the meantime I often work on my diorama, do my homeworks, watch TV or read aviation magazines.

-Colin

Comment

I either practice instrument approaches/instrument scan in the 172/182, or do things that I can't do in real life, such as barrel rolls in a 747, etc.

Comment

Longest I've done is CYYC-EGLL as ACA850, which is more than 9 hours straight.

For the most part, I do not leave the computer for an extended period of time. I usually chat with friends, or just surf, or either "low-volume" tasks. That way my memory will not run out when I have many programs running at the same time.

I attempt to do all of my flights with real-time, meaning I get up at 6am EST for the mid-day departures out of Zurich to the USA.

I often do step-climbs, check the weather, progress, fuel loads, etc to keep me busy. Wish I had a co-pilot to pass the time with

/geek

Comment

I crash, my flights dont last long (then again i can only play it at friends houses)
                      Sam Rudge
                      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I drink beer and smoke cigars.
                        You know, like real pilots do.

I'm still very new to this, but on longer flights, I suppose I'll try to stay on the flight deck, for the sake of realism.

But I'll still drink beer and smoke cigars.
                        www.AirlineAndAirportLinks.com
                        An exhaustive and cross-referenced database of world airline and airport websites.
                        www.AirlineAndAirportLinks.com Photos
                        Airliner photos from Toronto's YYZ.

Comment

hehe, nice topic. Back in the days when I was nuts about Flightsim, I used to enjoy a 9 hour non stop flight by consttantly staring at the cockpit, toggling views and looking at the map to check my progress.

But then, 2 years back, I got my senses and since then, I quit flight sim altogether due to sheer boredom.
                          You only have one life...

Make wise decisions and live freely.

Comment

Longest flight I've done was on a US 767 from PHL to GLA, which was around 6 hours realtime. I ate dinner after take off, and read a little, while monitering systems and attending to the ATC requests. About an hour before arrive in GLA, I had a beverage and a snack. I like to feel as if I'm really doing something productive, when I'm really not. It just makes it more worthwhile.

Yesterday...I did PIT-ART-OGS-MSS-ART-PIT-MGW on my USEx B1900D. I was practising ILS approaches at these locations. It was a great evening!

-Pete
                            Pete Ganabathi
                            Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Short hops with bad weather and IFR are always real fun. Last night I did JFK-BOS-LGA-IAD-CLT-BWI-JFK in an AA A300 with horrible thunderstorms and 1 1/2 mile visibility almost everywhere....keeps you on your toes!

-Clovis

Comment

Working...
                              X