Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nikon D780 - Halos around aircraft

Hi,

Late last year, I upgraded my Nikon to D780 (old body was D7100). Shooting planes in the sky, I see there is a clear Halo in post processing. Tried couple of different lenses (70-200 F4 and 200-500 F5.6) and it's the same result. I have checked that Active-D lighting it turned off. I had picked up the D780 specifically for plane spotting. Any help and suggestions on how to overcome this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have linked the RAW and post processed pictures. My post processing workflow is simple: Crop -> Levels -> Resize -> Sharpen.

RAW Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OY8...ew?usp=sharing
    JPEG link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hw5...ew?usp=sharing

Regards,
    Siddarth

Try reducing the sharpening. When I upgraded from a Canon crop frame to full frame sensor I had to reduce the amount of sharpening applied to an image to get a satisfactory result. Generally around 20 to 25% less sharpening was required.

David B

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	edited.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	1183836
      Originally posted by Siddarth.Bhandary View Post
      Hi,

Late last year, I upgraded my Nikon to D780 (old body was D7100). Shooting planes in the sky, I see there is a clear Halo in post processing. Tried couple of different lenses (70-200 F4 and 200-500 F5.6) and it's the same result. I have checked that Active-D lighting it turned off. I had picked up the D780 specifically for plane spotting. Any help and suggestions on how to overcome this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have linked the RAW and post processed pictures. My post processing workflow is simple: Crop -> Levels -> Resize -> Sharpen.

RAW Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OY8...ew?usp=sharing
      JPEG link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hw5...ew?usp=sharing

Regards,
      Siddarth
      Hi,

There is something wrong with your post-processing process, as I edited the photo following my normal workflow and had no problems with Halos. Here is the edited photo. Regards​

Comment

Originally posted by neto.911 View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	edited.jpg Views:	160 Size:	737.1 KB ID:	1183836

Hi,

There is something wrong with your post-processing process, as I edited the photo following my normal workflow and had no problems with Halos. Here is the edited photo. Regards​
        Thank you, Neto. Did you adjust the levels/brightness in your workflow? I re did the post processing and checked at each step. Looks like the Halos started appearing when I adjust the levels either in RAW or JPEG.

Comment

Hello. I think you should not touch levers of highlights and shadows. Wrong crossing of those can cause for halo. Furthermore, do not touch clarity or texture. Those are my previous mistakes which caused my pictures to get halo. Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by Siddarth.Bhandary View Post
            (old body was D7100).... I had picked up the D780 specifically for plane spotting
            Siddarth, what were your thoughts in losing 50% of reach when moving from DX to FX for spotting?
            That's not re: your issue here, I'm aware, but I'm super curious to learn about thoughts behind unexpected arguments.

Comment

Originally posted by bleuair View Post
              Siddarth, what were your thoughts in losing 50% of reach when moving from DX to FX for spotting?
              That's not re: your issue here, I'm aware, but I'm super curious to learn about thoughts behind unexpected arguments.
              Hello Mriko,

For regular spotting at my home airport of KDFW, it is mixed - I do miss the DX range of my 70-200 when getting take off shots, but then the resolution and detail of 780 is amazing that after crop, lot of pics are still good. Landings are quite close to the plane spotting location and hence do not make a big difference. I believe the real loss of reach will be felt at air shows with fighter jets and smaller aircraft.

Regards,
              Siddarth

Comment

Working...
              X