Spotting In the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting In the US

I had to give up spotting here in New York. For 20 years before 9-11, I would spend hours near the runways taking photos of Concordes, 747s,etc. Now, it's all aggravation. You will get seen by patrols, questioned, your name will be taken by security, your camera/film might get confiscated,etc. It's so upsetting, I dropped my camera and the police opened the back and all the pictures of the final Conncorde's arrival were ruined! I suggested giving ID Cards to spotters to allow them to do photography, but they say that terrorists will get cards while scouting locations. What a shame! In NY, you are not even allowed to photograph people in public places such as parks,etc.

Taking your film is unconstitutional. You shouldn't let them. As far as these moronic rules stopping terrorists... its a crock of BS. If someone tried to take my memory card it'de tell them go to hell. I'm not doing anything illegal why should i let them have my pictures.

Comment

I'm sure it gets very upsetting at times, but the cops are just doing they're job. They've got every right to take your film and search you if they feel you are threat to national security. They're trying to prevent another 9/11 from happening, so next time you get questioned by the 'men in blue' just cooperate with them and do everything they tell you to do. Just think of it this way, the more cooperative you are, the less hassle they'll give you. The less cooperative you are, the more they're gonna wanna tick you off.

Comment

They've got every right to take your film and search you if they feel you are threat to national security.
        Wrong. They have NO right to seize your film. It is a violation of the 4th amendment.
        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Eagle_Driver, this thread may be of some nice information to you: http://www.jetphotos.net/forums/view...=11655&start=0

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
            I'm sure it gets very upsetting at times, but the cops are just doing they're job. They've got every right to take your film and search you if they feel you are threat to national security. They're trying to prevent another 9/11 from happening, so next time you get questioned by the 'men in blue' just cooperate with them and do everything they tell you to do. Just think of it this way, the more cooperative you are, the less hassle they'll give you. The less cooperative you are, the more they're gonna wanna tick you off.
            You're too pathetic. Yea a guy with a camera.... really a threat to national security... mabey the lens shoots out some kind of laser beam or something . People like you are the reason why the situation has gotten so bad and is getting worse.

Comment

Security at US Airports

One guy emailed me to say that he was questioned for taking photos by the airport. His place of business received a call questioning his background. An FBI agent visited his home to see the files on his computer! As a result of the "Patriot Act," I understand they have the right to do this. In NY, we can't even take photos in public places of people. I was told to put my camera away when photographing people in a city park and at the beach by park rangers. Photography used to be my hobby. As far as refusing to cooperate with authorities, it's a no-win situation. They can issue you a summons or worse! I asked photo societies for assistance but they wouldn't help! We are supposed to live in the freeist land in the world, but since 9-11, we're not so free!

Comment

Re: Security at US Airports

Originally posted by Myron
                One guy emailed me to say that he was questioned for taking photos by the airport. His place of business received a call questioning his background. An FBI agent visited his home to see the files on his computer! As a result of the "Patriot Act," I understand they have the right to do this. In NY, we can't even take photos in public places of people. I was told to put my camera away when photographing people in a city park and at the beach by park rangers. Photography used to be my hobby. As far as refusing to cooperate with authorities, it's a no-win situation. They can issue you a summons or worse! I asked photo societies for assistance but they wouldn't help! We are supposed to live in the freeist land in the world, but since 9-11, we're not so free!
                Yes you can thank people like Eagle_Driver for that who would give away their film/memory cards and just say it's in the intrest of national security. And support whatever type of breach of rights the "authoroties" come up with.

If i were you... i would continue my hobby. There are many people who would be more than willing to help you. You pay taxes you should have the right to do photography.... if someone doesn't like it... Fu*k them

Comment

I feel sorry for you guys. Have to put up with such pathetic cops. But if i was you guys id learn my rights and stick to them. Don give them anything that violates them.

All these stories make me feel rather lucky. I can be tresspassing while taking photos and no one cares.
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Got No Support !

I was with a group, including Air Traffic Controllers, to photograph the last Concorde ever to arrive at JFK. We were standing in plain view behind the fence and was told to leave. When we refused, we were asked for ID cards,etc and were questioned. Even the JFK Controllers wearing their photo IDs were told to leave. Cameras and film were not confiscated, but we were harrassed. Those advising me to curse the officers and tell them I have the right to stand behind the fence to photograph planes are brave until they're in the same situation. And I have contacted many organizations, including a NYC Airport Club,as well as photographic clubs and none will support me! They never even return my calls. It would take a whole group of us to get this problem worked out and since this Iraqi prison scandal; things are getting worse!

Comment

I got questioned by a cop today at DCA.

The thing was his name was 'Muhammed Akmar'. A little more suspicious than 'Greg Dewey'.

Comment

It will only get worse, Osama only needs to get lucky once to cause another outrage in the USA and I think it is only a matter of time before it happens. Things have changed here in Europe but not as much as they have in the USA, even after Madrid 3/11 things are pretty much the same.

Matt
                        My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                          They've got every right to take your film and search you if they feel you are threat to national security.
                          Wrong. They have NO right to seize your film. It is a violation of the 4th amendment.
                          Not since congress passed the Patroit Act on October 25, 2001. Remarkably, this 342-page law was written, passed (by a 98-1 vote in the U.S. Senate) and signed into law within seven weeks of the Sept. 11 terrorist attack. As a result, the government gained new power to wiretap phones, confiscate property of suspected terrorists, spy on citizens without judicial review, and conduct secret searches.

I can't seem to find the section on confiscating property, because I'm in a rush, but it's there, I assure you. Something else I ran accross was this:

SEC. 412. MANDATORY DETENTION OF SUSPECTED TERRORISTS; HABEAS CORPUS; JUDICIAL REVIEW.

I suggest you do a little research before you post.

Comment

As a result, the government gained new power to wiretap phones, confiscate property of suspected terrorists, spy on citizens without judicial review, and conduct secret searches.
                            If they ever try to do that to me, I'll have the ACLU on them ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                              As a result, the government gained new power to wiretap phones, confiscate property of suspected terrorists, spy on citizens without judicial review, and conduct secret searches.
                              If they ever try to do that to me, I'll have the ACLU on them ASAP.
                              \

There's something I just don't get. You guys aren't hiding anything, you aren't terrorists, or are you??? If you've got nothing to hide, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X