Best lighting for photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best lighting for photos

What are the best times (daylight) to take photos. Someone in a different forum mentioned the dreaded noonday sun. Is it best to take pictures mid morning or mid to late afternoon? Some of my photos accepted photos have been taken on overcast days with no shadows. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Scott.
    My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Originally posted by atcvector
    What are the best times (daylight) to take photos. Someone in a different forum mentioned the dreaded noonday sun. Is it best to take pictures mid morning or mid to late afternoon? Some of my photos accepted photos have been taken on overcast days with no shadows. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Scott.
    Who cares...just use the flash.

Comment

First of all you want to have the sun behind you. Therefore if you position yourself right in the morning or afternoon you should get a nicely lit shot. If not, the picture will be back lit and will not look as bright. Depending on your spotting location, morning or afternoon shots will yield the best results.

The problems that I have have with taking pictures at midday is that the photos can be overexposed. Also, if it is summer you may get heat radiating from the ground which will destroy any chance for a good shot.

Hope this helps.
      YBBN - James

Comment

There is no "best time." Experiment during different lighting, from different angles, and different locations. I've found that the backlit side of airplanes tends to be very reflective.

[photoid=381201]

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
          Who cares...just use the flash.
          you are very constructive these days

The best light is without a doubt in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is low - just make sure to avoid backlight this time of the day.
          Noon is ok too but you heat haze might get a problem then.
          Last edited by philip; 2005-02-13, 11:35.
          greetings,
          Philip

Comment

Originally posted by philip
            you are very constructive these days

The best light is without a doubt in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is low - just make sure to avoid backlight this time of the day.
            Noon is ok too but you heat haze might get a problem then.
            I usually try to take pictures at around noon.

Comment

I am not going to repeat about the morning and afternoon shots, but I will comment on the overcast skies. With overcast skies, the clouds act like a giant softbox and the soften the light wonderfully, however, too much can be a bad thing as it will be too dark. In addition, sometimes when it is overcast, there will be a lot of moisture in the air and the possibility of getting shots like the following with the condensation.

[photoid=252912]

As you photograph more and become better and better, you will learn to use any lighting to your advantage, but be patient as this takes time. All the great photographers are able to use availible light to create beautiful photos.

Good luck and keep at it.
              SET LOVE FREE!!

Comment

Depends on the time of year and where you are located.

Here in NY, Sep-Apr (give or take) you can shoot sun-up to sun-down because winter sun is low in the sky and you don't have high sun (noon/midday) problems. During the summer, you want to avoid high sun (10a-3p) unless it's a special movement and that's the only time you're going to see a particular plane. With digital, you can still get "acceptable" shots during high-sun but trust me on this, the very same shot taken when the sun is low (morning or late afternoon) will be so much better. High sun only lights-up the top of the plane and colors will be dull compared to a similar shot taken at say 5-6pm in the summer. And another good tip is, if it's cloudy stay home and wait for the sun to come out.

This of course is for common shooting. If you're looking to take "artsy" type shots or unique weather related images that's a different story.

Mike
                My site: http://www.RampSlides.com
                My photos: Click Here

Comment

I prefer days when the sun is out. Although, there is nothing wrong with making lemonade from lemons.

-Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X