Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "lens creep" mean?????

What does "lens creep" mean?????

If you are pointing the camera down, the force of gravity can sometimes cause a zoom lens to increase its focal length, (i.e. pull out) if there is not sufficient drag or a lock on the mechanism to stop this happenning.

In this hobby I guess you only need to worry about this if you are taking an overwing shot in an airliner doing a role or are a light ac inverted shooting an aircraft below you. LOL

Or

some might say its a member of the paparazzi, I am not sure which.

Comment

lolol, Thanks

Comment

Zoom creep is common on the lenses with a lot of elements inside and usually it is the heavier lenses that suffer from it the most.

Lenses that do not move while zooming do not tend to suffer from it i have found. Such as the 70-200L/17-40/Sigma 120-300.

The lenses most prominant to it that i have expierienced it with are the 100-400LIS if the zoom collar is not tightened, the 75-300IS, the 28-135IS and the 35-350L, again only if the collar is not tightened.

Chris
        Chris Sharps
        5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
        17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
        24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
        1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

this is a lens creep....or was that a creep with a lens.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
            careful emu... dont wanna piss the moderators off too much You're already a hot topic in the mod forum
            I'm famous!

Comment

It can also become an issue shooting up at aircraft passing overhead with some lenses.

Comment

Working...
              X