other words, do you think I could get by with just my
    300mm? The reasoning for my question is because during
    this 2 week break, my dad was thinking of taking me to
    ATL to go spotting
    Bobby DeBarge
    www.debargephoto.com
    http://utccollegelife.blogspot.com
    1999 Firebird Driver| Aviation Enthusiast

No problem with that lens Bobby....the same as I used during my stay at the Renaissance....have fun!

Comment

Unfortunately, I believe you need to have a room at the hotel. I don't think there is anywhere to just walk in and take pictures.
      Wayne Dippold

Comment

bobby:

The Renny is an awesome place to watch planes. However, for pictures, ATL is backlit from the Rennaissance this time of year. But, if you're into baseball, now is the time to be in Atlanta

Comment

Thanks everyone! We will be staying in a room, and we'll have an airport view room also. I was looking at some shots from ATL from recent dates and it doesn't appear backlit to me...oh well, I'll go down there and try my luck. What's the best time for having no backlit?
          Bobby DeBarge
          www.debargephoto.com

Comment

I'd grab a tripod and do night shots! Its a good place to learn: Awesome location, traffic, and level surface.

Have fun

Comment

Yeah, have fun spotting from the hotel.

Btw How far is the ATL airport from the Renaissance ? Just curious ! TY
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
                Thanks everyone! We will be staying in a room, and we'll have an airport view room also. I was looking at some shots from ATL from recent dates and it doesn't appear backlit to me...oh well, I'll go down there and try my luck. What's the best time for having no backlit?
                Best time to go to ATL is during the summer time. June to August. I went there in August and it was perfect, despite the bit of rain we had but the sun came out. I went back there in September and it was severely backlit. Didn't waste my time taking pics from the Renny and from the parking garage in September. If you go there now and they're landing on the 26/27s, then you'll get some fine touchdown shots as the afternoon sun will be on your right hand side/behind you if you're facing east and not above/behind you as the summer sunlight is.

Kevin

Comment

So wait, are you saying I should go, or not, I'm confused. You said that you went in Sept. and it was backlit, but then you said if I go now it'll be fine...:\

I'd be staying at the Renn. and probably taking pics from there too...
                  Bobby DeBarge
                  www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Originally posted by bobby
                    So wait, are you saying I should go, or not, I'm confused. You said that you went in Sept. and it was backlit, but then you said if I go now it'll be fine...:\

I'd be staying at the Renn. and probably taking pics from there too...

Just go and see for youself. You'll be facing south from your room. Sun rises from the east and it sets to the west, so the afternoon light will be west, so your shots will be somewhat backlit. But you can probably compensate it by shooting at different angles. If they're landing on runway 8L, well, you won't be able to get any touchdown shots b/c you'll be shooting directly into the sun, but when they turn off, giving you a different angle of the airplane, you can compensate having the sun kinda behind you. Vice versa if they're using using the 27s, etc.

Kevin

PS. I believe mid day, around noontime, the sun will be above the airport which is not worth taking pics at this time of the season.

Comment

Hmm, now I'm unsure if I really want to go down there. I don't really feel like "just going down there" because it's a 3.5 hour drive. I'll think about it.
                      Bobby DeBarge
                      www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Bobby:

Here's a preview:

The side light Kevin was talkin about when they turn off the runway:
                        [photoid=372416]

And the glorious autumn/winter time backlighting from the North Side:
                        [photoid=357685]

Atl is an awesome place to go take pictures of planes, especially during the summer from the North side. Just cause its summer doesnt mean you can't go and have a good time. Driving around to differnet spots off the airport under the approach paths, etc will give you a good time.

However, don't expect to get anything killer from the Renny this time of year (Unless its an afterdark/night shot)

If it were me, I'd save that 'ATL token' and use it when you're guaranteed to have good light! (Spring/Summer)

-Adam

Comment

Thanks Adam! But what I don't understand is how the light is different in the spring/summer than it is in fall/winter. I know the sun rises and falls at different speeds during the seasons but I didn't know it changed position. Can I not just take pictures in the morning when the sun is facing the touchdown shots? Basically what I'm saying is how can it make a difference between the seasons when it rises and falls in the same place year round? Or does it? I don't know.
                          Bobby DeBarge
                          www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Quick Lesson

You know how the earth is on an axis? Well, when the earth goes around the sun, the earth's tilt causes the sun to shine on the top half of the earth more (our summer) half of the year AND during our winter, the earth's tilt is posistioned so that the southern hemisphere is closer to the sun.

What this causes is different patterns of the sun across the sky throughout the year.

Ever notice how the sun tends to rise more in teh south in the Winter? This is because we are on the backside of the tilt. Take a look at this:

Therefore, when its summer and you're standing at the Renniasance, the sun is going to rise and set on a more northly track. And in teh Winter, the sun will track a more southern route across teh sky.

With Season change, the light will shift to different angles.

Long, but I hope you understand.

Comment

Alright. I understand now thanks! But where else is there to spot at ATL?
                              Bobby DeBarge
                              www.debargephoto.com

Comment

Working...
                              X