No announcement yet.

Heat distortion - a lethal photo enemy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat distortion - a lethal photo enemy?

Hi all,

I guess, the answer will be "No!", but I would like to readsome of your opinions:

Is there something you can do against heat distortion

- while taking the photo?
    - while processing the photo?

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Kai

Last edited by Kai Vollmer; 2006-09-11, 20:18. Reason: Banner added

While taking the photo, don't go out in the hottest parts of the day, keep your focal length down (zooming in a lot makes it worse), and avoid shooting planes that are on or near the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Kai Vollmer
      - while taking the photo?
      Get close. Or wait till the aircraft is airborne. Though having said this, even shots of airborne planes can get ruined by heat distortion if the distance is great enough. I've learned not to shoot at full zoom in summer here in Malta.

Charles

Comment

Like Jordan said. Don't shoot aircrafts on the ground. That's one of the worst time while the aircraft is on the ground. The heat can be spotted in your photos as a waving blur? in your photos. A pain in the ass, wait a couple of hours when it has cooled down abit say afternoon. and not when the sun is "above" your head. That's where it is mostly visible.
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Heat haze is possible on cold days too. Not as bad but it can happen.

Comment

Don't shoot on clear cold sunny days, don't shoot objects on the ground at midday period unless youre using focal lengths <50mm (same for shooting nights after a hot day), Windy days help.

It doesn't have to be hot for heat haze to occur, there just has to be a large difference in temperature between the ground and the boundary layer of air just above it.

Comment

It doesnt have to be hot but most of the times where I had troubles with my shots was on these kind of hot days. but yeah I can nod to the facts you just said. Well said Eric.
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Just look threw your view finder, you can see all the little waves..

Comment

Working...
                X