Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma 170-500mm - any good?

Hi people,

I'm thinking of buying this lens to fit on my D70.

ANyone has any feedback or experience with it?

Cheers,

Mark

Hmm I have to 135-400 and I am not to happy with it. It is not that sharp, the zoom mechanism is not the pleasant to use. However I donīt have the newesr version the DG.

Comment

I've got one that I use with my D70S. Very pleased with it, especially as I got it off EBay in mint second hand condition for Ģ295.

Here's one example of its use. Around 200mm. f11. 1/350sec. Handheld.
      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5751318

....and another. 250mm. f6. 1/250sec. Handheld resting against fencepost.
      http://images1.jetphotos.net/images/....jpg.94405.jpg

This one is in the queue at the moment.
      http://www.jetphotos.net/images/img2....jpg.29715.jpg

All three are almost full frame.

I'm still practising handheld at longer focal lengths with mixed fortune but it's a very good lens for the price new of around Ģ450 - 500. It is a lens for those nice sunny days so I'm told and best used around the middle apertures. Like I say, I'm still practising with it and have found that results are improving. Used with a tripod or monopod it produces some very nice results.
      Last edited by brianw999; 2006-09-13, 20:49.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I have it but I am not happy with it. Rarely do I get stuff sharp even at 400mm. I have been looking at the Tamron 100-400mm lens since I cannot afford the Nikon 80-400mm VR.

Comment

I agree, the 135-400 is ok if is sunny and you stay under around 200mm, but it lacks at 400mm. I believe that the 170-500 suffers even more at 500mm.

@Stephen :

Yeah getting a good 400mm zoom is hard for a Nikon. The Nikon 80-400 VR is good, but the AF is so slow.
          The Sigma 80-400 OS is roughly the same (have you considered that ?) as the Nikon, just a bit warmer in the colors.
          The Sigma 135-400 is, well acceptable for the price.
          The Tamron 100-400 is interesting, but the old one was not a gem either.

Only perfect 400mm zoom is the Nikon 200-400mm, but the price is not even funny.

Comment

What about the Tokina 80-400 or Tokina 100-400?

Comment

Same as the Tamron, all tests I saw put the Tokina behind the Sigma 135-400

Comment

I have the 170-500 and I'm not entirely happy with it. Results are variable and poor output at 500mm.

It does not often see the light of day......I'd pass on it if I were you, but maybe I got a lemon

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X