No announcement yet.

IAD, DCA Spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can one access Gravelly Point at night to take some approach pictures?

-Chris

Comment

AT DCA if the planes are approaching from the South i like to shoot at the Marina just south of DCA instead of shooting at the point.

Some people say you will get chased away but i will buy a burger and a coke eat on the patio and take several hours to eat it Never have had a problem with shooting there.
      Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
      http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by z740
        can one access Gravelly Point at night to take some approach pictures?

-Chris
        Yes, up to 10PM,

Comment

Originally posted by deejay
          Yes, up to 10PM,
          is it a place you want to be at night with some pretty valuable goods?

-Chris

Comment

is it a place you want to be at night with some pretty valuable goods?

-Chris
            Never had any problems, and never seen any shady looking characters,

Comment

Was reading some info on DCA and saw that the Balcony at the end of Terminal C was a good place. I have never seen this place. Would anyone mind showing it to me in a pic or telling me how to get there from the Metro station.

-Chris

Comment

Well the hotel reservations have been made, now it's just a matter of waiting for it to come. I can't wait!! Oh, I'm going to DCA not IAD.

-Chris

Comment

Was reading some info on DCA and saw that the Balcony at the end of Terminal C was a good place. I have never seen this place. Would anyone mind showing it to me in a pic or telling me how to get there from the Metro station.
                  Here is the balcony. From the Metro station, head towards the C terminal (US Airways). Go to the upper level and then walk outside to the dropoff area. Keep walking to the end. It's a good spot, be careful of the police though.

Sample shots:
                  [photoid=292484]
                  Arrival

[photoid=378237]
                  Departure

Location via Google Maps

Comment

Thank you my friend! I hope to get some good shots this time I'm up there. Will upload a spotting trip review in the OTF as soon as I get back.

-Chris

Comment

Well as some of you may have figured out already I went on my trip to DCA this weekend. And as some of you all may know it was a very windy and cold day on Sunday. Of course that's when I did most of my photography.

We drove up there on Saturday morning and went straight to Gravelly Point. As usual the departures were overhead so they A/C were too high to photograph in any decent way. I took a few shots and we headed over to the nice warm terminal.

One of my three total shots from Gravelly Point on Saturday:

Once we reached the terminal we walked up and down the length a few time to warm up and then we headed over to the Balcony at the end of terminal B. The sun was in a somewhat bad position so the shots were somewhat overexposed.

Here's a few:

Then we ate lunch at TGI Friday's (they're Buffalo Wings aren't really all that hot, unfortunately) and headed to terminal A. There's a little sitting area that looks out onto the runway.

We walked around the terminal a bit more and then went to the marina and then went to the hotel.

I'll upload a few more later.

-Chris

Comment

Well the time has come again for my annual trip to DCA. Have any of the spots changed from the last few times I've been there or are they still primarily the marina, the balconies, the terminal, and Gravelly Point?

Also going to try to get some long exposure night shots. Any tips for those at Gravelly Point?

Also my first time up there with my new DSLR and 100-400L. Any advice for what focal length I need at Gravelly Point?

Any help is much appreciated!

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740 View Post
                          Well the time has come again for my annual trip to DCA. Have any of the spots changed from the last few times I've been there or are they still primarily the marina, the balconies, the terminal, and Gravelly Point?

Also going to try to get some long exposure night shots. Any tips for those at Gravelly Point?

Also my first time up there with my new DSLR and 100-400L. Any advice for what focal length I need at Gravelly Point?

Any help is much appreciated!

-Chris
                          Chris - the spots and the rules for DCA remain the same basically. I haven't tried long exposure shots (at least in a looooong time) there though. I would suggest though trying to do so from the extended centerline positions (at Gravelly Point). Last update for the DCA Spotting Guide was in October and had to do primarily with the airlines serving the airport

Regarding GP and the lens, 100-400 you'll be overdoing it - you won't be able to get a full frame on anything larger than a 320/737 so I'd suggest shorter lens for that side (assuming the landings are on Rwy 19). On the marina side, 100-400 would be fine. My suggestion would be a 70-300 range lens.

Blendi
                          -----
                          Washington Baltimore Spotters Group

My photos at JetPhotos.Net

Comment

Working...
                          X