Heathrow Visitor Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heathrow Visitor Centre

Unfortunately heard that the spectators balcony and shop at Heathrow on top of terminal 2 has long since closed (went there many a time as a kid), and has been replaced in a way by something called the Heathrow Academy, on the northern perimeter road, which is a visitor centre with a large shop. Has anyone been here, and can comment on what the visitor centre's like, and also if the viewing balcony at the front has been built yet? Also, what's it like for photography there (have a Fuji S5600 with only x10 zoom)? May make a trip over there in a week or two by Tube, heard the best place to get off is Hatton Cross and walk around the perimeter road

Originally posted by RobL
    Unfortunately heard that the spectators balcony and shop at Heathrow on top of terminal 2 has long since closed (went there many a time as a kid), and has been replaced in a way by something called the Heathrow Academy, on the northern perimeter road, which is a visitor centre with a large shop. Has anyone been here, and can comment on what the visitor centre's like, and also if the viewing balcony at the front has been built yet? Also, what's it like for photography there (have a Fuji S5600 with only x10 zoom)? May make a trip over there in a week or two by Tube, heard the best place to get off is Hatton Cross and walk around the perimeter road
    Hi rob,
    I got the same camera as you

anyway, Good spotting areas are as follows:

on the west side:

on the east side:

forgot to mention, the area at the far top of the pic, you can mark it by a 40mph sign across the road from the actual fence. also its a very good position if no sun is in front with our camera

the spotters are in T2 has long gone and the visitors centre has been turned into something different :'( i miss beating my friends score on the 777 simulator there

Comment

Cheers for that, will be very useful! What's happened to the visitors centre? Haven't seen anything on the web about it closing and was reccomended it on another website recently

Comment

Cheers for that, will be very useful! What's happened to the visitors centre? Haven't seen anything on the web about it closing and was reccomended it on another website recently
        it was apparantly closed for refurbishment, but recently when i wen it had been turned into offices and everything including the beautiful model shop closed

But there is one in a hotel nearby, cant remember where, which i have been to. They have models ranging all shapes and sizes and what interesting thing i found in there was a 747-1/200 of iran air

Comment

Ah cheers, that's a shame. Was just looking at the website for the shop that's in the hotel near Heathrow, new of the shop for a long time online, but didn't realise the real one was right next to Heathrow!

http://www.collectorsaircraft.com/

Will probably make a trip the weekend after next, or one afternoon after Uni

Comment

Ah cheers, that's a shame. Was just looking at the website for the shop that's in the hotel near Heathrow, new of the shop for a long time online, but didn't realise the real one was right next to Heathrow!

http://www.collectorsaircraft.com/

Will probably make a trip the weekend after next, or one afternoon after Uni
            up, thats the shop

Comment

Heard that the Visitor Centre is now at the back/side of the building now, not as good as it used to be though apparently. Will probably check it out this weekend though, as well as Myrtle Avenue and the collectors aircraft shop - i'll be the short guy with spikey ginger hair

Comment

Heard that the Visitor Centre is now at the back/side of the building now, not as good as it used to be though apparently. Will probably check it out this weekend though, as well as Myrtle Avenue and the collectors aircraft shop - i'll be the short guy with spikey ginger hair
                I wont be able to come this weekend but oh well.

can you post some pics of the new visitors centre if possible?

Comment

I think you'll find all there is at the "Visitor Centre" is a small shop with books & models. As you walk up to the building its at the left hand end of the building. I haven't been in there but I guess it is the same people that had the section upstairs in the old visitor centre.

Comment

Seeming as the weather is supposed to be better tomorrow, and I have to go to London anyway, think i'll go Heathrow tomorrow as off-peak the travelcard is only a quid extra for zones 1-6 instead of 1-4. I'll probably start off at Myrtle then walk up to the Sheraton Hotel for CAM and also the visitors centre, then might go back to Myrtle depending on the time, hopefully i'll see an A320 or two (although from what i've heard it'll probably be more like 20). I'll post my pictures up tomorrow when back

Comment

Isn't it shameful that this is apparently the sole-pathetic-visitors' facility at the UK and possibly Europe's busiest airport? Just typical of BAA-"**** off spectators/enthusiasts."

Last edited by Propman; 2007-10-18, 10:23. Reason: Retrospective addition of link to my JP photos

Comment

hopefully i'll see an A320 or two (although from what i've heard it'll probably be more like 20).
                        and that's per hour, enjoy

Comment

Haha, well that went disastrously wrong - ended up going with seven other students from my aviation management course. Got lost trying to find Myrtle avenue, got the bus to the Heathrow Academy area but couldn't find that, asked at Collectors Aircraft Models and they said it's been closed, so went back to Hatton Cross tube station and stood there for a bit watching the planes take off! The weather was pretty offputting too. Ah well, it beat sitting at home all day, and at least got to see a Concorde, two or three A340-600's, 747s and whatever else

Comment

Isn't it shameful that this is apparently the sole-pathetic-visitors' facility at the UK and possibly Europe's busiest airport? Just typical of BAA-"**** off spectators/enthusiasts."
                            Oh, you are so correct. As far as the BAA are concerned all you are allowed to do at one of their airports is get on and off of an aircraft, and spend as much of your money as possible at the many overpriced outlets while doing so....and god forbid that should actually SEE an aircraft before you get on it !!

What visitors to the UK must think about us when transiting in and out of Heathrow makes me squirm. The management of BAA should go to places like Singapore to see how it SHOULD be done.

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hellthrow

Every time I have been to England I have made every effort to avoid Hellthrow (Heathrow).

Brianw999, Singapore is an easy airport to go through and on my recent trip I did not mind transiting through Singapore.

My Stuff on The Web

http://www.ryanhothersall.net/

Comment

Working...
                              X