Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara
    There's another guy NIKV69

Oh..........now how did i miss that when i read Chris' mail ?

Ignore him. Nick is a c0ck-sucking POS who has been brown-nosing first Johan and now DemandMedia every chance he gets.

Originally posted by gbasco
    Not unless Chris sells JP to Demand Media.... LOL!!!
    In that case I would launch a few Tomahawk missles aimed at Vegas .

Originally posted by srbmod
    This entire thread is flamebait to the highest degree! Delete all of my photos here and my membership.
    Says a man that for years criticised Johan and A.net for every little server hick and insulted every single one of their mods, only to then sell out and become a mod himself. Hypocrisy much?

Comment

Ive only got 3 photos on there so im not fussed about them as they are nothing special. But they have lost me for any future uploads now.

I have a feeling we may see alot of photographers moving to this website now which can only be a good thing for this website.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        Ignore him. Nick is a *** who has been brown-nosing first Johan and now DemandMedia every chance he gets.
        I can confirm that...
        Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        Says a man that for years criticised Johan and A.net for every little server hick and insulted every single one of their mods, only to then sell out and become a mod himself. Hypocrisy much?
        The belittlement of the photographers' concerns coming from an a.net crew member is unacceptable, alas we can do bugger all about it except pointing it out. It's insolent how he equals this one single thread here to the entire (attempted) rights grab issue by taking the same steps, i.e. asking for deletion of his photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara
          Reply # 2
          To me it does not sound as if they will change their legal text, just try to "explain" it better to the public. I would not bet on that.

Comment

I have over 2000 pics on that site which I will be deleting unless those conditions change, which I think is unlikely, seeing how well DM have handled everything since the took over.

Good to see the reassurance from Chirs - at least one site appreciates the contribution the photographers make.

Comment

Originally posted by cja
              Thanks aloges.
              As you say people should wait and see, rather than jump the gun on deletions.
              I think most people have taken this approach. Even though I really don't have a lot there, I'm willing to give DM a chance to resolve this issue before asking to have my images pulled.

Comment

Well, strange goings on on both sites where neither one has stopped the mentioning of the other. Good to see, just so sad to see the reason. For all it's faults, A.net did push your average photographer to greater heights and it is a repository for a superior collection of pictures. So is JP, with a totally different attitude toward the hobby, for that is indeed what it is, a hobby. Well, for most of us anyway.

I for one will be saddened if A.net goes down the pan and would urge that, despite the 8th March deadline, people refrained from pulling their pictures until this clown of a general manager for DM comes out and flatly refuses to make any changes to the somewhat arbitrary ToU's his company has dreamed up. I don't think it will take long and it might just be that the overwhelming wave of disgust from photographers from A net AND other sites will force them to either retract and think again or make substantial changes which satisfy the majority.

I know it is a rival site, but there is room enough for both and for one to die a death because of incompetant, intractible management would be a crying shame. Chris has done the right thing by clarifying immediately JP's stance and I know at least one other site has done the same. Maybe there will be changes yet, but neither as drastic or far reaching!

Anyway, thats how I feel and I shall wait a short while before I do anything drastic.

Andy

Comment

WE HAVE RECEIVED A LOT OF FEEDBACK AND HAVE DECIDED TO INDEFINITELY POSTPONE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW POLICIES FOR PRE-EXISTING USERS. WE WILL REVISE THE POLICIES TO ADDRESS ALL OF THE CONCERNS WE HAVE RECEIVED. THIS IS A PROCESS OF COLLABORATIVE RULE-SETTING. WE LISTEN TO OUR MEMBERS AND WILL ADDRESS THEIR CONCERNS.

Comment

a small first step in the right direction

http://www.airliners.net/termsofuse/ now reads:

WE HAVE RECEIVED A LOT OF FEEDBACK AND HAVE DECIDED TO INDEFINITELY POSTPONE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW POLICIES FOR PRE-EXISTING USERS. WE WILL REVISE THE POLICIES TO ADDRESS ALL OF THE CONCERNS WE HAVE RECEIVED. THIS IS A PROCESS OF COLLABORATIVE RULE-SETTING. WE LISTEN TO OUR MEMBERS AND WILL ADDRESS THEIR CONCERNS.

Comment

a good reason for being mad if that ToS goes thru is that considering how difficult it is to just get a photo one there in the first place the last thing we need is for them to steal it.

a huge amount of effort goes into uploading there, with processing and fixing rejections, etc. I have 3,400+ photos on there and at this point I'd feel bad about removing them because the amount of time invested in total is HUGE. For the guy with 70 photos online its no big deal. I've been at it there since 1999 and it hasn't been always easy.
                      View my photos at JP.Net
                      Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
                      Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

I don't know why they're saying "for pre-existing users" only. Do they still want to subject new users to a rights grab? I don't like this.

Still, progress has been made. Now let's see what happens this coming week.

Comment

Bruce

I know how you feel. I've got 3100 photos on AN with all but two being slides from 2003 and earlier. There is an enormous time, effort, and money I've historically put into AN in the past. For some who don't know, I stopped uploading to AN in early 2003. I had gotten fed up with the way things were going on there and I was one of the few "known" photographers at the time that walked the walked and stopped uploading.

I've got some aircraft and airlines posted on AN that no longer exist taken from spots that you can no longer go into any longer. If things do not change at AN (and I honestly don't think they will...this is all about business) I will pull all 3100 of my photos from AN. It will make me very sad as well thinking about what it took to get all of those photos loaded, but also because I really won't be able to load them here on Jetphotos. I've battled this site over slides in the past and I've given up.

I also think about the times I've skipped worked, pissed off the wife (I mean, REALLY pissed her off doing all of the things for this hobby), spent money I haven't earned yet, purchased camera equipment I couldn't afford at the time, damaged rental cars from using them as ladders, snuck into areas and got caught, snuck into areas and didn't get caught, battled evil police/security guards/flight attendants/gate agents in which I sometimes won and I most of the time lost, and gone way out of my way on business travel (which risked pissing my employer off)...all for photos on AN. And they are probably going to get wiped away because of the new terms at AN. I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but like I said I'm not holding out hope. Digital Media seems to be interested in the $$$ in operating AN, not in the photographers feelings or best interest.

Unfortunately, I think the traffic here will pick up tremendously. If a lot of photographers dump AN and come here, the upload queue will become unmanageable very quickly. I dropped 5 photos in the queue this morning and noticed it was already over 4000.

Comment

The new ToU has been revoked!!

The old one has been reinstated in its original form, as far as I can tell (I haven't read it thoroughly) but it is complete with the
                            "Copyright © 1996-2007 Lundgren Aerospace AB. All rights reserved." at the bottom.

Comment

Mark

I assume you have retained copies of all your Scans so you dont have to go through all that work a second time!!!! And I can assure you that my wife knows how yours feels even though I have no where near your volume of photos.

Andy

Well said, I am sure that many share these sentiments.

Comment

ZOMG DRAMA ON THE INTERNETZ!!!

...is it over yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X