Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much has an airport changed in your lifetime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much has an airport changed in your lifetime?

I got an idea the other day, and was able to re-create a shot I have admired for years.
    [photoid=61547]
    While on my first non-rev flight as a Skywest employee (SFO-ONT), I couldn't help but think of this shot as I noticed my view out the window of SFO. So I took a picture and was amazed at how similar the shots turned out, and how much had changed! From my birth in 1990 to my first flight as an airline employee at age 18, this is how my beloved local airport has changed in my lifetime.

After creating this image, I figured it might be a cool idea to post this on the forums, and encourage other spotters to re-create shots of their airport from years ago, or perhaps from the year of your birth, and share them with us so we can look back on how times have changed.

What do you guys think?
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Well, I'm no good at creating shots any other way than photographing things. But I was brought up near Gatwick and have fond memories of playing in the sandpit at the airport cafe, sited where the North Terminal is now. Then, there was only one pier, and that was brand new. The airport has changed immensly over the years, with first two other piers being added and the the satellite. After that came the North Terminal. All in just over 40-odd years And it's still only got one runway!!

Andy

Comment

Hi Crunk,

Fantastic pictures. I could look at both of them for hours to find all differences.
      SFO seems to have changed!

I bet that "my" airport AMS/EHAM/Schiphol has changed thru the years, i.e. a new control tower was erected.

I too love SFO, since I've been to the US twice and both times I arrived at ... SFO! So I know the airport a little.

I hope more "find the diffs" pictures will be placed in this topic.

BTW and completely off-topic, for which I hope to be forgiven: San Francisco is awesome!!

Greets,

Hinkelbein

Comment

Thanks! I hope others are able to do something like that too, it'd be interesting to see.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

this is awesome! i remember SFO a little before the current international terminals were built! i remember arriving there when i was younger, and seeing all the construction and stuff!

MCI is pretty much the same on the outside , the inside is all that has changed... they renovated it to make it look a bit more modern & added security crap and stuff...

Comment

I'd be more than happy to actually show the changes of HAM, as pretty much the whole damn airport has changed, but alas, unlike SFO, there aren't any good overview shots available to compare. But to put it in words, compared to 1990, terminals 2-4 have all been replaced with new buildings, many new parking structures have been erected, access roads have been expanded, a new main apron has been added, and of course Lufthansa Technik has grown heaps and bounds since 1990.

Comment

Working...
            X