air to air photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air to air photography

i am going up in an small aircraft soon want some advice on some air to air photography never done it before so any help will be good like camera settings etc.
    thanks all
    iron

Depends if the door is going to be on or off. Things become a little harder through windows.

Comment

no window

there will be no window i am going up in as nanchang the canopies slid back so no windows in the way

Comment

Try contacting Gavin Conroy about it, he's one hell of an Air-to-Air shooter.

Comment

No need to treat it any differently, on thing to note is that it will be windy and if you have a lens hood you may find keeping your camera steady not that easy.

Jid

Comment

Lose the lens hood, secure everything to something. Be ready to use high shutters because I would think the wind and vibration from the aircraft will make it hard to keep the camera steady.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

thanks

thanks all for the advice what shutter speed would you use.

thanks iron

Comment

What are you photographing?
                Tanner Johnson - Owner
                twenty53 Photography

Comment

For jets, use whatever you want. For props, I'd use 1/400 or slower to get some good prop blur.

If you think its smooth enough, try as low as 1/80 for a full circle at higher RPMs. Just make sure you get some at faster speeds so you don't waste the whole shoot if the slower ones don't work out.

Comment

thanks again

thanks again for all the advice tanner i will be taking photos of a lancair a small prop aircraft never done shots like this before and i dont want to get back on the ground and all my work is no good it will be very windy up there so i am hoping everything with be ok so any other tips will be good.

iron

Comment

Hi There,
                      Keep your shutter speed at or under 250 unless the subject has a very high engine rpm.
                      Keep looking through the viewfinder to check you havent bumped any settings by mistake, and review every 30 shots or so to check prop blur focus etc.
                      It will be breezy, dont let that phase you, just try and keep the camera steady, focus well and hit the button.

It does depend on the two pilots you are using, if they both have good formation experience but if one has more experience than the other use that pilot in other words if the camera ship pilot has more experience have him form on the subject for a while becasue you will still get some good shots.

It does take quite a few flights to get it right but just relax and have a good time.
                      I use a 24-105 for air 2 air anything longer gets knocked around.

Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks all

thanks gavin your air to air work is amazing i will take all your coments and everyone elses and i am shore now that my photos will come out good.

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                        X