Spotting at CYVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting at CYVR

I don't really have all that much to say in this post since I know my way to Templeton street/the long road adjacent to 26/08 that's only "good" in bad weather- of which there is too much, but the one area perplexing me is finding the most famous area of all. The "Avis" gate, I think it's Budget now but I really have no idea. Directions in relation to the terminal would be best as I am not local. A further question would be, do I need a ladder? I'm well aware that YVR has two seasons rain and rain, but since I have to be in the area for unrelated business anyway it'd be nice if I could get some spotting done if, miraculously, the weather clears. Thanks for all the help,

Bernie

spotting at CYVR

Hey!

Sorry that I can't offer a lot of help, but..

The Rental returns are a tad east of the terminal on the main road. I cruised all the driveways 2 years ago and found this lot. One spotter had a ladder and was doing fine. There was construction going on and a big gate was open allowing for some nice shots.

There is a lot of construction as of August because of an extension of the Sky Train to the main terminal. Templeton St. was good but a lot of my stuff got blown out.

The best part of one day was down at Vancouver South terminal, the seaplane base and the BEAVER bar and restaurant. Some good ops there with a lot of seaplane traffic and beer and pleasant staff.

Don't forget the Vancouver waterfront and more seaplane activity; easy access and busy most days with Victoria and up-island flights.

Most likely there are a lot of unexplored spotting locations all around the terminal but I'm old and lazy and take what's easy....ENJOY!

Denis ( BIGDEN)

Comment

Hey!

FYI for those wanting to ride around in a float plane...

Enjoy flights from Vancouver and the Lower Mainland to Victoria, Nanaimo, and the Gulf Islands with Harbour Air. Learn more.

has standby tickets for a great rate, students and seniors even cheaper. A decent spotting op.

Denis 9 BIGDEN)

Comment

Bernie,

Checkout "3800 McDonald RD S" on google maps. At the end of the road you will see an enterance to a large parking lot. There is a small lot at the front. That is the "AVIS LOT." Chances are you will find some regular spotters there or the lot will be empty. Bring a step ladder, and keep it on the pavement rather than along the fence. Security and other YVR Suv's will drive by quite often and the you may see a police K9 unit.(Airside) You will see a sign that states "no plane spotting" Avis used to have their building right beside this lot and the spotters were an issue for them back then. As a reminder, it is a great spot that many people enjoy, and it is a privilage for us spotters to be able to use it. Enjoy!

Rob

Comment

Working...
        X