Nikin D2X Issues - I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net View Post
    Not at all because Nikon and my dealer bent over backwards trying to help me get the issue resolved. When you figure that i had nearly 40,000 shutter actuation's on the 1 year old body and had sold enough photos to pay for the body. When Nikon offered to purchase the body back at full retail i told them that i would be more than happy with a new body but took the cash.

I also was a Canon user back in the manual focus film days and had a lot of failures with them. Of all of the Nikon bodies over the past 15 years that i owned the D2x is the only one that has ever given me any problems.
    That confirms my experience with Nikon over the last 15-20 years. I had a F90 which failed to transport the film, instead of being repaired I got back a new F90X.

My Coolpix 5700 failed after 3 years (so out of warranty), it was fixed free of charge as it had a known error and had only 5000+ pics taken.

The D100 had problems with the shutter and again it was fixed free of charge after 10000 shutter releases.

Comment

Could it be the vibration reduction on the lens? As strange as it sounds? Maybe I should with VR not on. I have it set to full, whatever that means

When to EGKK again today. Still the shots are blury, but the conditions were not great. Its not the camera as my light aircraft pics are fine.
      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggy View Post
        Could it be the vibration reduction on the lens? As strange as it sounds? Maybe I should with VR not on. I have it set to full, whatever that means

When to EGKK again today. Still the shots are blury, but the conditions were not great. Its not the camera as my light aircraft pics are fine.

No no no no no. You have the wrong focus point set, you stated previously that the focus points were at the top of the viewfinder. There lies your blurry problem, you're camera isn't focusing on the aircraft. Try pushing the big down arrow on the back of the camera and to the right of the LCD screen. Also make sure the D-pad isn't locked, do this by sliding the locking mechanism to the dot position.

No offense but it sounds like you would benefit greatly from sitting in a quiet room alone with your set up and reading through every manual you own for every piece of equipment in your set up.
        Last edited by sluger020889; 2009-01-02, 20:57. Reason: Additional Info Added.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Well, fist off, I'd recomend you get rid of the imitation Nikin and get a Nikon...then we can talk.

My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by sluger020889 View Post
            No no no no no. You have the wrong focus point set, you stated previously that the focus points were at the top of the viewfinder. There lies your blurry problem, you're camera isn't focusing on the aircraft. Try pushing the big down arrow on the back of the camera and to the right of the LCD screen. Also make sure the D-pad isn't locked, do this by sliding the locking mechanism to the dot position.

No offense but it sounds like you would benefit greatly from sitting in a quiet room alone with your set up and reading through every manual you own for every piece of equipment in your set up.
            Yeah i figured that yesterday Did take you advice and read some of the manual though
            Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

I posted in another thread a couple of days back, but as this is the one it all started in I would like to thank you all for your help and patience.

I have spent loads of time on reading articles, manuals and most importantly listening to people on here regarding my photography and editing.

I guess if you look at my recent pictures you can see a vast improvement (I hope) and thats thanks to you.

Thanks.

Lee
              Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

And did you start using P* mode indstead of A mode?

Comment

Im using Apeture mode, F8 F10 sometimes
                  Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Why?

You have a lense that does not need F8 and a camera which is quite capable to find the perfect combination of apeture and shutter speed for the zoom setting you use. I can only recommend to read the manual and learn about P and P*. and what it is able to deliver.

Comment

You mean S rather than P? P is Auto mode
                      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Yes, I mean Auto mode. Just that on your D2X "auto mode" is adjustable, which means the camera still decides which aperture and shutter speed it uses, but you can tell if you want it to go for a fast shutter speed or for a better aperture. Imho even the most experienced photographer will have a hard time beating the P mode on your D2X for spotting, when it comes to setting the best combination of shutter speed and aperture. Especially if you adjust it with a few clicks on the thumb wheel.

Shooting planes that are taxiing, 2 clicks to a better aperture, shooting planes in flight 2 clicks towards a faster shutter speed. I know that many seasoned spotters do not recommend "auto mode" but imho they never understood the P mode on their Nikons. As it is not an auto mode like on a P&S.

Read in the manual what it does and try it next time. I would dare to say that you will get more keepers.

Comment

Ok Stephan, I will indeed give it a go. Thank you mate.
                          Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Working...
                          X