Real expert opinion required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real expert opinion required

Perhaps someone who is a real photography "geek" can help me with this question.I have come upon the following photo taken at SXM http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6455629.Now my question is this photo is nice and sharp but taken from the exif data the exposure was f/3.2 Now my understanding of photography(only gleaned from uploading to jp and reading forums was that a higher f stop f8+ was required for increased depth of field).
    Kudos to the photographer as I like the pic but how is it so sharp in all areas is this ace processing I have considered the photo was taken at a high shutter speed.
    ps I will mail the photographer so he may shed some light but this is more a general query for such photos.

pps You think with just 2000 in the data base I might have some idea but alas no so posters be as technical as necessary

A very good question actually! The shot is so clear essentially because it's taken at such a wide angle. Depth of field decreases not only as you widen the aperture (lower the f/stop) but also as you increase focal length. So, for example, if we take a constant aperture lens like the Canon 70-200L and take a portrait shot of a person at 70mm, the background will be noticeably blurred but if we increase the focal length to 200mm, the background will be dramatically blurred. By the time we're back to focal lengths like 10mm we don't really notice the effects of depth of field. This is why everything appears to be in sharp focus with the most basic of 35mm point and shoot cameras. The aperture is wide but the focal length is also wide.

Hope that helps.

Paul
    Last edited by PMN; 2009-01-10, 00:41.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Ditto!
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

I think the 10.5mm focal length and the 1/4000th shutter speed has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billsville View Post
          I think the 10.5mm focal length and the 1/4000th shutter speed has a lot to do with it.
          The shutter speed doesn't actually affect depth of field. It's simply because it's such a wide angle.

Paul
          Last edited by PMN; 2009-01-10, 11:53.
          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

The shutter speed doesn't actually affect depth of field.
            I think Stephen was referring to the combination of wideangle DOF effect and the fast shutter working together to give such a sharp image ?
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

That explanation is perfect Paul...I did learn something new today.I do now have a 10-22mm now but as with all my small lens do not get the opportunity to use them much but for SXM and St.Barths they are vital.Thanks David

Comment

Hola David,

I hope this link will help you:

Melvin

Comment

Originally posted by Melvin Pereira View Post
                  The dof calculator on that link is interesting Melvin

Comment

In a photo like that you need the fastest possible shutter speed because with the airplane going by so low over your head it appears to change its shape very quickly. A slower shutter speed would be likely to result in blurred extremities (nose, tail and wingtip). Any softness resulting from the wide-open aperture would be easier to fix than this.

Comment

Working...
                    X