lage aircraft into small airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lage aircraft into small airport

I am curious about what large aircraft there have been at small airports.
    for me I saw a dl 767-300 at pvd going to atl in feb 03 and I cheacked and they have these flights sometimes and are not rare but they stll mostly have the 757s there
    frist is my last name, not a type-o

There's an AA 767-200 on its way to MCI from JFK as i type, pretty common these days (prob. for maintenence), and we're not really small airport (90 gates), but totally under served. I know DL flies 762/3 into MSY as well, which isnt the biggest airport, and also PBI and FLL (which arent HUGE, but have high pax volume). And you cant forget the Corsair, Airfrance, and KLM 747's into SXM!!!!
    Packin more nuts than Delta Airlines
    -PT-

Comment

The largest at a really small airport was probably the AN-225, when it flew into Linz-Hörsching airport on 23 March 2003. The tail of the AN-225 was almost as high as the tower building!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Small airport does not necessarily mean short runway, though, as Linz has a 3,000 metre (9,000 ft) runway.

Regards,
      Peter

Comment

Re: lage aircraft into small airport

Originally posted by fristclass
        I am curious about what large aircraft there have been at small airports.
        for me I saw a dl 767-300 at pvd going to atl in feb 03 and I cheacked and they have these flights sometimes and are not rare but they stll mostly have the 757s there
        2 Examples that come to mind are.......

Lasham, UK (EGHL/QLA) with a 5,896' runway which regularly sees DC-8s, B707s etc (http://www.souairport.co.uk/lasham.htm

Speyer, Germany (EDRY/?) with a 4,022' runway at which an AN-22 landed (http://avstop.com/news/An22.html)

Curitiba's runway looked shorter than its 7,283' when we lined up with the fuel for a 5,300nm flight in a '10

RJP
        View my photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Windhoek, Namibia. They get the 744 from Air Namibia.
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by LH 340-600
            Windhoek, Namibia. They get the 744 from Air Namibia.
            According to Jeppesen

Windhoek - Hosea Kutako Intl Airport (FYWH / WDH)
            Runway 08-26 15,011' x 148' asphalt
            Runway 16-34 5,000' x 98' asphalt
            View my photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by aerpix
              The largest at a really small airport was probably the AN-225, when it flew into Linz-Hörsching airport on 23 March 2003. The tail of the AN-225 was almost as high as the tower building!
              Wow, spectacular. But this means the AN-225 is still flying. I always thought it had been grounded for financial reasons...

Grtz,

Nicki
              My JetPhotos.Net pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Nicki Mks
                Originally posted by aerpix
                Wow, spectacular. But this means the AN-225 is still flying. I always thought it had been grounded for financial reasons...

Grtz,

Nicki
                frist is my last name, not a type-o

Comment

The AN 225 is in YQX today. I might pop out there for a pic. But its a three hour drive one way.
                  A lot of large traffic through there lately.

Comment

It used to be grounded for a few years, but is now back in service with Antonov Airlines.

Regards,
                    Peter

Comment

I had mentioned in an earlier thread, AC DC-8-61 at YYJ (Victoria, BC) which took off from a 6000 foot runway for a 39 mile flight to YVR.
                      ________
                      MASTURBATION MUTUAL

Comment

In the past Northeast use to fly DC-8's in and out of ISP to FLL. The runway at the time was only 5800 feet long. Those birds used every foot of runway to take off.

Comment

I think a 747-200 landed at Speyer, Germany as well. After that it went to the museum in Speyer.

An-225 was at Hahn, Germany a few months ago.

727-200 at Edmonton Municipal, Canada.

737-200 in Penhold, Alberta, Canada

Comment

Well I don't know if Kai Tak would count. It was more a large number of aircraft at a small airport. It was impressive how that rather small (area-wise) airport could handle the large air traffic to and from Hong Kong day in and day out. I remember a bit about the old place, it was always packed!

Comment

We have a wide body every few weeks here at Fort Drum, usually whenever our troops are being deployed. This week alone we have had 3 C-5s, 2 C-17s, a 777, and a DC-10. Our rarest visitor was Air Force One, which landed here about a year ago. it was amazing. :O
                              Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X