X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airports in need of expansion

The aviation industry must be rebounding...or at least trying
    GO SIOUX

Well they were gonna bounce back sooner or later cause im gonna be damned if i have to boat to go on holidays
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I guess those are mostly larger airports, but CHS only has 3 open gates!
      When FlyI starts, UA is going to get another gate
      DL is looking at getting an extra gate
      Air Tran needs a gate (If they ever start service!)

Oh well...I don't think my airport will ever expand

Comment

Well DTW has more the plenty of room to expand, especially since they are already expanding concourse B and there is more room where the old terminal is.

Comment

Cardiff Airport needs an expansion pretty soon!

This coming Winter 2004/05 we are expecting a promised large expansion from bmiBaby which will increase scheduled operations from the airport massively. Air Wales shall also be rapidly expanding their regional services, and we could possibly be seeing new charter airlines offering flights to popular skiing destinations.
          Also next winter we see history being made, with the first ever winter international flight from Cardiff, with MyTravel offering the Orlando Sanford service throughout the winter!!!

So... give Cardiff our expansion!!

oh and how could I forget... we are also expecting a deal from Continental Airlines with Newark flights!!

Comment

Our terminal is fine, its just our check-in facilities. They are all full but there are 2 empty gates in the terminal.
            Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
            ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

I think LGA really really needs to expand. Especially the Delta terminal. They can't go on bussing people out to a full regional ramp forever! They need to tear down some of those old hangers/cargo buildings and build a nice new terminal!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyCharlestonSC
                I think LGA really really needs to expand. Especially the Delta terminal. They can't go on bussing people out to a full regional ramp forever! They need to tear down some of those old hangers/cargo buildings and build a nice new terminal!
                I'd say LGA also required expansion for future JetBlue expansion plans

Comment

Originally posted by ardavis
                  I'd say LGA also required expansion for future JetBlue expansion plans
                  LGA requires expansion for ANY plans. Delta especially! Last time I was there, every gate was full and there were mainline jets on the regional ramp. Needless to say, the regional ramp was also full!

Comment

ATL is in the process of making improvements that will ease the overcrowding, not only runway-wise but also gate wise. But Atlanta will need a new airport probably around 2020, as it would really be cheaper to build a new airport in the Atlanta area than it would be to build a sixth runway (Conservative estimates just for the land acquistion alone for a 6th runway is $1.5-2 billion, and would displace a total of 10,000 homes, businesses and schools. A sixth runway would probably have a price tag close to $10 billion).

Comment

Our terminal needs expansion badly. Luckily it is in the process and will be done by Summer/Fall of 2005.
                      Earl From Regina

Comment

CHS only has 3 open gates!
                        I'm guessing that is not going to designate the airport "in need of expansion."

3 open gates can handle upwards of 20 additional flights a day, keeping in mind that 50+% of CHS' traffic is of the RJ variety.
                        Trump is an idiot!
                        Vote Democrats!!

Comment

LAS is really in need of an expansion, but to be quite honest, there's no room.

The existing runway configuration is woefully inadequate, especially with northwest winds (common in winter) which limits the airport to a 3 runway system (departures from 1R, landings on 1L, 1R and 25L). In periods of northwest winds, it's very common to see a queue of 25 to 40 aircraft lined up waiting for a 1R departure.

Unfortunately, the airport is bordered on the north side by Flamingo Rd. (along with many businesses), the west by the Las Vegas strip, the south by I-215 (don't think they're gonna be moving that, along with the many businesses), and to the east by Eastern Hwy. and numerous businesses.

The airport is already bursting at the seams, and 24 additional D gates are under construction. I just don't see where they're going to put the infrastructure to handle the additional traffic.
                          Trump is an idiot!
                          Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Chris, my airport planning and admin professor said that Vegas is considering a new airport in the future. I dont remember the details, but have you heard anything about it? I think she said they are going to try to have one be international and one be domestic. That is one of having an airport that close to the city, as the city around it expands it makes it harder for airports to expand. Thats why you see so many airports that buy up much of the land around them, so that there are future possibilities for expansion. Airports that dont plan to expand, are going to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                              Chris, my airport planning and admin professor said that Vegas is considering a new airport in the future. I dont remember the details, but have you heard anything about it?
                              I've heard that they want to do this as well, but that begs the question, why build 24 additional gates (virtually a whole new terminal) over by the current D if you're not planning to keep the airport around?

My other problem with this plan is that Vegas doesn't really get that much international traffic. A few Mexico flights, some Canadian flights, and overseas service from Philippines, Virgin, and JAL. That's about it.

McCarran is ultra-convenient, with the terminal being within 10 minutes of most of the Strip hotels. I can't imagine people would be willing to fly into the 'new' airport (which I've heard is planned to be 30+ miles from the city), when McCarran is right there.
                              Trump is an idiot!
                              Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X