"International" Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "International" Airport

What's the criterion for being an International Airport? I can't imagine that some of these obscure airports that call themselves "International" really have flights to international destinations.
    Do connections count?

Dick
    http://dickh.zenfolio.com

I think it has to do with having customs facilities.

For example: CHS has an International arrivals facility with separate bagage claim and check in (re-check in). Although it has never been used for a scheduled flight (and no one has ever switched at CHS and needed to re-check baggage), it has the capacity to handle charters and such.

Comment

My local airport (Watertown Intl) also has the label, "international." It must not matter that there are no gates, more screeners than passengers, and has a runway that would make even an RJ landing a tight squeeze. Someone about a year ago told me that for an airport to be international (without actually having international flights), it must have a scheduled airline link to an airport that offers international flights. Is this the case?
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

No...there are international airports with no scheduled flights.

Comment

it doesn't necessarily need to have scheduled intl services.
          It needs to have customs, quarantine, sanity.
          It also needs to meet more criteria but I forgot it right now.

Comment

How about 'National' airports with International flights.

DCA fits into that category.

Comment

Originally posted by Avianca 757
              sanity? What do you mean by that?

Comment

Customs facilities dictates whether it is "international" or not. Here in Jackson, MS, we are an "international" airport because we do have customs and facilities, even though no one here operates any flights internationally (charter or commercial).
                Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                  How about 'National' airports with International flights.

DCA fits into that category.
                  I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that they go through customs in Canada before they board the plane. I think it is the same with LGA.

Comment

I would think that Customs must have customs inspectors and if there are no charter or commercial international flights, what do they do? Just sit around and look at each other? (Or look in the mirror if it's only one person).

Dick
                    http://dickh.zenfolio.com

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      Originally posted by Avianca 757
                      sanity? What do you mean by that?
                      hahaha excuse me, sometimes the Spanish betrays me.
                      I meant something that goes aside the quarantine, where they check the animals and stuff.
                      In Spanish it's called "Sanidad", the Spanish word for the English "Sanity" is "Cordura" but I wrongly confused them. Sorry again!

Comment

My home airport (TSV) is an international, it was opened in 1981. It has enough parking space for one 747-400.

I think to be classified as an 'international' airport the standard facilities for international operations have to be present.

Note: standard facilities mean a secure, customs-controlled area with proper WALLS and not makeshift barriers which can be pushed over or peered over.

Here are some photos of the intl departure lounge at Townsville (used to be gate 6, now is gate 8 (airbridge) and gate 9 (for turboprop crafts).

The terminal doesn't have to be large, but it does have to be secure. From what I can remember, the room may be able to hold about 350-400 people shoulder to shoulder, but it would be cramped. The departure lounge is about 35 metres long by about 25 metres wide.

I don't know who the people are, i found the image through altavista.

TangoSierraVictor
                        Australia bound!
                        Sep 3 ICN-KIX JL964 767
                        Sep 3~4 KIX-BNE JL777 747

Comment

Actually Air Canada's flights to National and to LGA are considered "domestic" as all Customs and Immigration is done here in Canada. As an example flights from YHZ have to go to EWR as there is no pre-clearance in YHZ.

And YPQ-Peterborough Ontario is an International airport as we have Customs facilites. Our runway is 5000' x 100' and we receive freighter acft for General Motors in Oshawa.

Comment

Actually Air Canada's flights to National and to LGA are considered "domestic" as all Customs and Immigration is done here in Canada.
                            Yes, ptbodale, and it's a damned shame!
                            Means when I'm visiting the States from YYZ I get jipped out of my duty-free booze from the duty-free shops, which they obviously don't have in the domestic terminals.
                            www.AirlineAndAirportLinks.com
                            An exhaustive and cross-referenced database of world airline and airport websites.
                            www.AirlineAndAirportLinks.com Photos
                            Airliner photos from Toronto's YYZ.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                              Actually Air Canada's flights to National and to LGA are considered "domestic" as all Customs and Immigration is done here in Canada. As an example flights from YHZ have to go to EWR as there is no pre-clearance in YHZ.

Thanks for the info. That's quite interesting.

What about Jazz flight to BWI?

Comment

Working...
                              X