Thai in talk on 8 Airbus A340

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai in talk on 8 Airbus A340

Thai Airways International (THAI) has discussed the possible purchase of eight A340-600 jets with Airbus, Cronan Enright, the European aircraft-maker's customer marketing director for Asia, said yesterday.

"The negotiations have been going on since last year. We hope to conclude the deal by this year. However, it depends on THAI," Enright said.

The A340-600 jets are the latest development in long-haul air travel, capable of carrying up to 380 passengers just over 14,000 kilometres.

Airbus is offering the jets to THAI for US$180 million (Bt7.68 billion) each.

"The A340-600 would enable THAI to fly 18 hours non-stop flight - from Bangkok to New York or Chicago - which is two hours more than what Singapore Airlines can manage on the same route. This would lead THAI to be more competitive than Singapore Airlines," Enright added. Asian airlines have begun to order new fleets to enhance their competitiveness, he said, adding that this year Airbus had already finalised new aircraft orders for 29 jets from China Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, and Air Hong Kong.

Naranart Phuangkanok

THE NATION

That's good news. So when will Thai begin updating their interiors?

Comment

Good news for Airbus.
      What abou Vietnam Air? I thought they have the 777 on order. Or do they have additional A 320's on order?
      Andy

Comment

Yeah Vietnam's 777s, they should be due some time soon. I hope thy get those nice greenish Vietnam colors

Comment

imagine Royal Barge on the A340-600!!! LONG ONE!!!
          Live Long and Prosper
          Calixius Casper K.

Singapore's First Aviation Forum
          www.ninervictor.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

The contents of this transmission are not intended to be binding or constitute any form of offer or acceptance or give rise to any legal obligations on behalf of the sender. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not represent the views or opinions of any employer or other organization with whom the author is associated.

Comment

I wonder what Thai's advantage over Singapore Airways would be on routes to JFK or ORD? A traveller from Singapore would still have to connect at Bangkok if he wanted to take that 'advantage' flight, so that's the two extra hours to get there he would save on the Thai flight.

Nevertheless the 340-600 in Thai livery would be a pretty nice bird.

Regards,
            Peter

Comment

If your flying to another amaller city in South East Asia you can save time. You'll just have to take one stop in Bangkok compared to 2 in Japan and Singapore.

Thai will get many new jets including the 744's from United. I'm pretty sure they will get rif of their 743's. Will they keep their MD 11's?
              Andy

Comment

Nah, I reckon they'll ditch those MD-11s very soon. They only have four of them. I'm sure they are a burden in terms of cost now. Maybe they'll be replaced by the new Airbuses or perphaps B772ERs?

Comment

Actually Thai have been wanting to sell their four MD-11s for quite some years, but for some reasons have kept them in the fleet. We still get theme here at Zurich.

Regards,
                  Peter

Comment

Poor MD-11s. The type are younger than the 747-400s yet airlines are rapidly phasing them out as if they are of similar age to a 747 classic. No one wants them except for freigter use. It's a pity the plane didn't succeed, it is a beautiful and a modern bird.

Comment

Hi,
                      Thats good news for the worlds number 1 aircraft manafacture (In terms of orders).

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

Neither the MD-11 nor the 747-400 are modern, both aircraft and their variants are based on designs of the late sixties.

Regards,
                        Peter

Comment

Well if you think about their hulls then they arent. But if you look at their interiors, cockpit and avionics, along with their engines and such, they are pretty modern. Besides, B744s orders are still being made.

Even the A340s fuselage has come from the A300

Comment

Working...
                          X