Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L1011 Worlds Greatest Airliner or a flying junkyard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a FULL load of pax-we should be able to edit our messages somehow.
    ________
    Herbal vaporizers

Comment

It seems that the DC-10 has a much higher life expectancy than the L1011. Just look at the number of DC-10s flying today compared to TriStars. OK, I know DC-10s outsold the TriStar, but there are still charter airlines and such still operating them. Some airlines are still adding DC-10s to their fleets. We don't see this with TriStars. Yeah there are still quite a few in service, but no one has bought new ones, they're all headed for the graveyard. And L1011F? I havent seen any. DC-10F? Plenty....
      If the L1011 is such a great plane, then why aren't any airlines still adding them like the DC-10?

Just a thought.

Comment

I think it is a case of more of the DC10s being available on the used markets so when for eg Fed Ex decided to standardize.....The development of the MD10F could not have hurt either, where as very few 1011s were converted to cargo config, the RAF -500 examples being the only ones that immediately come to mind. I know the TriStar was passe by the late 1980s with some airlines, perhaps unfairly so. For eg i know Boeing bought a bunch of them from All Nippon on trade, and rather than flood the market with 15 year old airframes, which would compete with their new products, reduced them to spare parts. And for all the prestige of that Rolls Royce name, the RB 211 never gained the acceptance of its P&W and GE competitors. There are now a lot of DC10s being reduced to scrap, just it happened about ten years later than the L1011 eg the NW DC10-40s and the CO -30s
        ________
        Shemale Fetish

Comment

Trijets are always a welcomed sight for me! Even a Swiss MD-11 fasinates me.. with interesting variations like Swiss Asia, and HB-IWB blue belly.

Apart from the MD-11s, Singapore do occasionally get DC-10s and L-1011.

Garuda operates the DC-10s and Orient Thai fly their only L1011. Although its a sad sight to see Orient Thai's daily flight always in the "Cancel" state.
          Live Long and Prosper
          Calixius Casper K.

Singapore's First Aviation Forum
          www.ninervictor.com

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

The contents of this transmission are not intended to be binding or constitute any form of offer or acceptance or give rise to any legal obligations on behalf of the sender. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not represent the views or opinions of any employer or other organization with whom the author is associated.

Comment

Working...
          X