No announcement yet.

Miami Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The travel agent probably worked out a good deal. In my line of work I've transfered a few school groups going out on scheduled flights. Those must have been deals where the cost of a charter flight just didn't work out. There was this one deal where 9 buses (at least 420 pax), leaving in three waves at bastardly times of the night took the kids four hours from Cedar Rapids to O'Hare where they all boarded commercial flights, connecting in various cities, all on their way to HNL.

On another deal I was part of a two-bus move from Cedar Rapids to MLI where about 90 kids took what as far as I know was a regularly scheduled Air Tran flight to MCO.

Although more often that not, when I have school kids I am taking them all the way to their destination. I'm suprised your group is flying from Charleston to Orlando. All 50 of you could easily fit in one 55-57 pax bus and get there in 8 or so hours. Maybe 10 when you factor in stops for meals and other breaks. And you are already going to need to hire a bus in Orlando to take your group from/to the airport. Is flying really going to save your group that much time, and be worth the extra expense?

Mike
    Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
    lp.org

Comment

MA is pretty good. we took them AUS-SFB for spring break last yr (trip report is somewhere in here). Delta handled our stuff. we got 738 N732MA and there were no seats left, as there was about 150 of us.
      btw, u flying into SFB or MCO? we got SFB. anyway, have fun at D-world.

Comment

Your'e probably gonna get 737-800! It's nice, but a tight fit! There is a business class, but it is only four seats and not separated form the rest of the cabin!

Their 727s are mostly for VIP transports, for example the Miami Heat aircraft. But you never know, you may get lucky and end up on one of their luxarious 727s. (especially seeing that only 50 people will be travelling)
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Van Hoolio
          I'm suprised your group is flying from Charleston to Orlando. All 50 of you could easily fit in one 55-57 pax bus and get there in 8 or so hours. Maybe 10 when you factor in stops for meals and other breaks. And you are already going to need to hire a bus in Orlando to take your group from/to the airport. Is flying really going to save your group that much time, and be worth the extra expense?

Mike
          Well I say 50 or 60 going, but there are 70 or 80 in the choir. I don't think everyone will go.
          (Actually, I might not even be able to go )

Anywhoo, the choice is up to the choir director...not us.
          I would rather fly though...you know me

Flying will save the group time, b/c we will leave around 5:00 on a Thursday and come back around 9:00 on a Sunday. (both times at night)

Comment

Flying is preferable, cooler, safer and more comfortable no doubt, but when kids & parents have to fork over hard-earned money to make the trip happen, you have to wonder is flying down was the responsible decision to make.

Trying to guess the timeline for flying down:

30 minutes (?) from school to airport.
            2 hours before flight
            1 hour flight
            30 minutes arrival, get bags, etc.
            30 minutes to 1 hour transfer to hotel (depends on SFB or MCO)

So even for flying it looks like four-and-a-half to five hour trip. A maximum savings of 6 hours versus going via motorcoach the whole way I'd say.

Mike
            lp.org

Comment

Well if you raise enough money it might be worth it.
              - The baby will be back -

Comment

I just found out...it's the middle and upper school choirs. There will be ~130 kids.

Here is what it would be:
                10 minutes from school to airport
                1 hour before flight (c'mon man...it's charleston )
                1 hour flight
                1 hour to hotel

we are leaving on Thurday evening at like 5. Flying would get us to the hotel at least by 8:30. Driving would have us there at 2 AM.

Like I said before, it's not my choice weather we fly or drive.
                The school is mostly rich white kids who live downtown or on their family's old rice plantation, so the money won't be an issue ( ), but there will be fundraising ideas available for the rest of the kids (aka me ).

The cost of the trip was put at $680 per person...I'm fundraising!

Comment

Our school Choir trip to Cleaveland only cost us $250!!! It was about a 7 hour bus ride. We had like 250 kids in total with the Band as well.

Comment

Well, $680 isn't too bad. I've had trips where the kids spent around that figure go go the whole way to wherever they're going by bus and to do their activities, etc. It's do-able.

For a large group travelling together, count on getting to the airport early. It's not as easy as just you and a couple companions checking in and flying out on a scheduled flight. Imagine 130 people wanting to go through security at ONCE. Your decision makers will probably opt ot get to the airport early.

Mike
                    lp.org

Comment

The travel agent usually deals separatly for each item,
                      - chartering the buses for assorted road transfers
                      - chartering the aircraft with the airline
                      - fixing the accom with the hotel directly if an independant and/or franchisee, overwise with the chain
                      - fixing some excursion and other if any with a focused incoming travel company
                      It happens that somebody along the supply chain can cater for everything : ie the airline works regularly with a precise coach company which in turn knows a dedicated incoming and a hotel, but this is not common. In the US for instance, travel agents work either with voluminous Area Travel Planner or the computerized version.
                      If your travel agent still works the way I did with groups, he/she has arranged for
                      AIRPORT
                      - a separate counter dedicated to checking-in the party
                      - special instruction for tour leaders, one to every 20 pax, to keep their sections close-by ANYTIME, letting the party scattering for shopping or something else at this stage no way.
                      - a specific line for safety screening
                      if the airport authority is very cooperative
                      - have the aircraft parked at a dedicated, and possibly, isolated place, good means to keep your passengers close-by and ready to board.
                      the reverted process at arrival,
                      - difference : a dedicated caroussel at baggage claim
                      Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

There is also the whole chaperone issue. There is only the choir director and the piano guy (and maybe a few extra chaperones), so keeping everyone in one place (a plane) might be better than spreading them out (a few busses).

So...little change of subject...

Anyone have an idea of how to raise like $400?

jk

Comment

Good question bringing this funny conclusion

My ideas : get some of your charter fellow travellers, grab some guitars and perform as a strolling band in front of restaurant terrasses

Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

if only i had kept going with my guitar lessons...

Comment

It would be easier on a plane, but schools spread out among lots and lots of buses all the time. Your group of 130 will only need three buses for your airport transfers. Cake. I've heard of huge school groups travelling on as many as 12 buses all on the same trip.

Mike
                              lp.org

Comment

but we have like 2 chaperones...

Comment

Working...
                                X