Most interesting approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most interesting approach

Just sitting here bored, wondering what some of the coolest approaches are for you all.
    My favorite is FLL, i love gliding in over all the swamps, lakes and shopping centers, and red-tile roofed houses and then when you think it is all over, you come coasting probably 100ft over I-95 (about 8 lanes of traffic) as the threshold is literally attached to the interstate. Truly a great approach in my mind. I'm sure it's nothing compared to SXM, but i havent been blessed with that opportunity as of yet My personal favorite to actually pilot a plane in to is MKC (Kansas City Downtown) you come in right next to the skyscrapers, over the river on either side, or over Rte. 69 on the NE/SW runway, pretty cool!!! Yea i'm a big dork.....
    Any Ideas???
    Packin more nuts than Delta Airlines
    -PT-

My most interesting was flying into STL see my review flights post SWA PHX-STL to see about my approach.

The most fun I believe was on an AA MD-80 from STL-MDH ona charter flight, and the pilot wanted to show off his skills, and made a swoo right OVER THE TREETOPS!!! It was awesome!!!!! and he just flew around carbondale, goinjg up anmd down before finally turning aroudn and landing at MDH. By the way MDH is coe for Southern Illinois Airport

Comment

Well, I have never flown into either but I think it was, Hong Kong, the old HK. And Saint Maarten. Those seem really interesting approaches. But the most ineresting for me was flying into Seattle on vacation. We approach from the North, and flew over BFI, and downtown, with great views of the Space Needle. Was very interesting. And, we were in a holding pattern because of unknown reasons, at around 5K, that was also cool. And this was a cloud-free Seattle day, which was much nicer than, Seattle. LOL.
      Cory Klimko
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

For the 48 states, my favorites are San Diego's 27 approach, New York JFK's 13L approach, and Miami's 30 approach. All fun and beautiful. As for wild approaches, Juneau, Sitka, Dutch Harbor, and countless others in Alaska top my lists. Of course, coming into STL on the 30s is always fun. Especially a west arrival with a left base over Busch Stadium at night during a ball game.

Comment

Many Approaches into LGA are exciting. On runway 4, you can experience the thrill of flying 50 feet above houses, on runway 22, you feel like landing on water, on runway 31, 70% of time you will fly over houses and make a 120 turn over the park

gotta give it a try!
          Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Kai Tak and Princess Juliana intl. have the most interesting approaches in my opinion. Theres a poll on the front page about this....
            "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

JFK's Canarsie (13R and 13L) is the most interesting I've been on.

Comment

I like SEA, great view of the mountains, very scenic. Okinawa is also great, you get to see the coral reefs and a lot of smaller uninhabited islands. Kansai is also cool, great view of Osaka Bay and a lot of ships.

Comment

I think the approach to Male Intl. Maldives is nice. I experienced it quite often...you only see water, water , water and seconds before touchdown the runway appears

greetings
                  Philip
                  greetings,
                  Philip

Comment

Philip, ever landed at hong kong's new airport..........
                    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Kai Tak of Course. Where else was a big international airport in the middle of a city with such agreta approach. Ilove it and I have been there in may 1998. just great
                      Andy

Comment

DCA.

Comment

I think the approaches with big mountains nearby are the most impressive for passengers.
                          Examples:
                          Juneau, AK is pretty intense. Really close mountains and some pretty sharp turns shortly before landing.
                          Jackson, WI is also kind of wild with the Grand Tetons right outside your window and some sharp turns on final.
                          I can only imagine what it must be like to land at one of the altiports in the French Alps - Is it Courchevel that has commercial service?

Comment

Greg, I couldn't have said it better myself. DCA, DCA, DCA!!!

On the port side, you have the Capitol Building, White House, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument. On starboard you have Rosslyn, Arlington Cemetary and the Pentagon. You also get to experience all the exciting twists and turns as the aircraft negotiates the path of the Potomac River (which they cannot really deviate from). It's like a theme park ride, especially in a regional jet!

I did fly into Kai Tak, and I am largely too young to remember it, except I do seem to recall looking out the window (on approach) and seeing someone hanging out their laundry just off the wing tip of our SQ 747.

Adelaide is one city that I am sure no one else will mention on this forum. For those familiar with cricket, there is a beautiful view of Adelaide Oval on the port side.

Also, Sydney is pretty good. On the port side you get the Harbour, the Bridge, Opera House, Centrepoint Tower and the city. I think you can see Olympic Park on the starboard side. I think.
                            AIRIGAMI.NET
                            http://www.airigami.net - The next generation of paper airliner modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by philip
                              I think the approach to Male Intl. Maldives is nice. I experienced it quite often...you only see water, water , water and seconds before touchdown the runway appears

greetings
                              Philip
                              I would agree with Philip. The most Interesting approach is at MLE , Maldives..I have experienced this from the flight deck with my dad on the controls.Its simply priceless.

Comment

Working...
                              X