Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be or not to be?

Hey,
    Im a young aviation fanatic (just about 13) and wanted to talk with some other people about commercial airliners.

My question here is weather to become a commercial pilot or not.
    I have been interested in airplanes all my life.
    My first picture i ever drew was a plane (one big little circle in the center and 2 on the sides for wings).

Whenever i have the chance to fly with my dad to Nashville or somewhere else, i hop right on it.

Anywho, i also wanted to know what the best option would be for training.
    I really don't want to go into the military for service, and risk my life to just learn how to fly.
    I am thinking about taking lessons when i am 15 or so, work towards a PPL for a year, and then finally get my PPL when i am 16, that way i can fly solo.
    Then i would work my way up and such.
    I know its gads of money, but my family members are very supportive of the decisions that i make in my life, so i could probably get some financial help from them.

Well, i wanted to know if any one has any past experience with being a commercial pilot, and what they did right, wrong, and what was just down right stupid

Thanks every one,
    MeltedPixel

Well, right now I am in almost the same position as you. But I am 15, and have just started flying. For me, flying is life. It was something I have always loved, and something I will forever love. Becoming a pilot is my ultimate goal in life, and something that I am so determined to get it justs breaks to think of doing anything other than flying.

If your really interesting with becoming a pilot, research it, find colleges, find degrees, find ways to get your foot in the door, call as many flights schools as you can, tell them your plans for the future, ask for a job sweeping the floors there, get to know them, and then start flying, whatever you do NEVER give up, NEVER. Pilots are born pilots, pilot have the ability to go 8 miles up in the sky, and just be in complete awe, the feel the beauty, and passion of being up there, being free, and having nothing but air under you. Something that is very strong in my opinion.

As a pilot, the job will be hard at times, you have to be gone sometimes on holidays, on birthdays, on other occasions. Ask yourself this, is it worth it? I asked myself that question a while ago, and was certain it is worth it. Because being a pilot isn't about making 200,000$ a year, it's about your passion to fly airplanes, it's about doing something you love, rather than something you have to do to put food on the table. So just ask yourself.

And always remember, yor were born with something so powerful, so beautiful, the love of airplanes, the love of the sky, and the love of flying. Never let go of that passion, because if you do, you could never get it back. Always strive for what you want, never give up, and even in hard times, always remeber your doing something that you were born to do, and something you love. And in the end, it will repay you with a career many dream of, and less than many get.

I think of an airline career being a pilot as a reward for the time, determination, and the outright strenght you had to use to get there, never think of it as a job, but rather the goal that you once dreamed of, which in the end became reality.

Hope that helps,
    Cory Klimko
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I'm not a commercial pilot but I think you WILL be a good pilot someday!

Life is in your our hands...

Good luck,
      Dennis
      Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Even if you don't wnt to be a commercial pilot, you can always become a private pilot. That's what i want to do.......
        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

If you love planes, then put in the hard work and you will succeed in becoming an airline pilot. The job is like no other and is incredibly rewarding. It's one of those jobs where you don't feel it should be a job because it's so pleasureable. It's one of those jobs you miss when you take time off. It's one of those jobs what you can sit back on a nice day, look out the window while you are up at 39,000ft and just smile, thinking about how lucky you are to have a passion you get to do and actually get paid well for doing. Nothing beats it.
          Have a look at my photos, including Kai Tak crazy landings!http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=460

Comment

wow guys, thanks for the fast replys!
            I have always had the nack for airplanes, but just now i started getting serios about it.
            So i just bought flight simulator 2002 pro edition, and with the help of my friend landed my first ILS aproach at ORG.

I am willing to fly on hollidays, birthdays, etc. If it were up to me, i would be flying 24/7.

The money does not realy matter to me, but you need to have food on the hotel table . I know that once i get to fly a cesnna when im going on that first lesson, i'll be hooked for life.

Thanks for all the replys guys,
            MeltedPixel

Comment

How much is it to become a pilot i dont mean you bribe people to become a pilot but you have to have your PPL, twin engine, multi engine ect...

It must cost a bit, i heard it cost BA pilots around £1,000,000 each to train.

Joe,
              | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

good thing i dont live in england

Comment

Originally posted by JoeJoe440
                  How much is it to become a pilot i dont mean you bribe people to become a pilot but you have to have your PPL, twin engine, multi engine ect...

It must cost a bit, i heard it cost BA pilots around £1,000,000 each to train.

Joe,
                  It can't be so much.
                  "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

thats what i was thinking.
                    No way it is that much.

Comment

Melted Pixel,

I'm glad to see more young people wanting to join the fraternity of winged birdmen. I can tell you this.....becoming a professional pilot is on of the hardest things I've ever done in life, but it was also one of the most enjoyable too. Personally I have always had a interest in airline flying,as my father flew for Pacific Southwest and now currently for Alaska Air. I started flying at 16 and never looked back. Now 10 years later I get to cross the country in a brand new 737NG each week. Nothing in world compares to my office(okay Colin's 777 is a bit more roomy !) and I would'nt trade it for anything in the world. If you want to get more help websites like Jetcareers,Pilot Mentor Net, and StudentPilot.com will really help you out with what kind of pilot you wish to become.

Hope to see you in the skies some day and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Comment

Hi,
                        I was told by a British Airways ERJ-145 First Officer that there is not a demand for pilots at the moment but in about 10 years (when i'll be old enough to be a pilot) that pilots will be in great demand.

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

yay! That is just what i want to hear!

Comment

Hi,
                            Thats exactly what ran through my mind when he told me that (First Officer Arkwright). He said its because of the slump in the travel sector at the moment but come 10 years or so British Airways predicts there will be a huge growth like that of the low fares market today. Its not just BA that is predicting this growth he also informed me that the likes of Qantas, bmi British Midland, Aer Lingus etc... are also expecting this growth as are many other airlines.

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

what about airliners like Northwest and Delta?
                              Those are the two i am considering to pursue

Comment

Working...
                              X