DC-10 and MD-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-10 and MD-11

Why is it that some airlines (JAL, DL, for example) are planning to retire their MD-11s while others are still operating DC-10s?
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Well, it definitely has to do with costs, look at DL, they only have 3 remaining which is really sad. My educated guess is that the airlines you see operating DC-10s still (specifically NW) have a large percentage of the aircraft, and it is still economical to operate them. Honestly, it's too bad the MD-11 wasnt a success, what a beautiful aircraft. I would much rather see these birds in the sky than the A340's, not to start an A vs. B war, but they are aesthetically more attractive birds, and we need more trijets in the sky!!!
    Packin more nuts than Delta Airlines
    -PT-

Comment

I think if MD was still there, we could have more reasonable debates, rather than just A vs B...it could be A vs B vs M...

Comment

That would be interesting......
        -PT-

Comment

Ok i cant resist:
          Your Opinion
          P.S. THIS IS NOT A WAR OF THE MANUFACTURERS
          Airbus
          'Mariana de Silva' rotating very late. Note that she is rolling over the piano keys, just at the end of runway 36L. - Photo taken at Madrid - Adolfo Suarez / Barajas (MAD / LEMD) in Spain on March 22, 2003.

Boeing
          Photo taken at Newark - Liberty International (Metropolitan) (EWR / KEWR) in New Jersey, USA in October, 2000.

McDonnell Douglas (Now Boeing)
          Can't this great Bonaire approach just be compared with the great shots from St. Maarten? Watch the holidaymakers below the MD-11! - Photo taken at Kralendijk / Bonaire - Flamingo (BON / TNCB) in Caribbean Netherlands on July 16, 2002.

Not trying to hate on airbus, but that is an ugly freakin plane!!!!
          What do you guys think??
          -PT-

Comment

ok...out of those...the A340 is truly ugly (don't forget the A380)...but there are nice photos of them...

Airbus A340 beauties:

Departing 09R - Photo taken at London - Heathrow (LHR / EGLL) in England, United Kingdom on March 22, 2003.

(Del 11/02) on short finals for Rwy 16R operating flight CX101 from Hong Kong and finally some blue sky to take nice pics of this massive aircraft! - Photo taken at Sydney - Kingsford Smith International (Mascot) (SYD / YSSY) in New South Wales, Australia on April 6, 2003.

Comment

I'll agree with the A346, but other than that the smaller 340s are simply hideous to me, and talk about underpowered, did you notice the takeoff roll of the iberia plane, from what i understand, that has been corrected with the A345/6
              -PT-

Comment

Four hairdryers make a takeoff roll quite long

Comment

nice-looking "smaller" 340s

A340-500
                  C-GKOM on final runway 32L after 2nd flight - Photo taken at Toulouse - Blagnac (TLS / LFBO) in France on April 4, 2003.

A340-300
                  Short final to Runway 09L (Nikon D100) - Photo taken at London - Heathrow (LHR / EGLL) in England, United Kingdom on March 31, 2003.

A340-200

Comment

It is said that the DC-10 is more economical than a second hand MD-11. No one wants a new MD-11 when they have the 777 and A340 to choose from. I agree, the MD-11 is a beauty and it had lots of potential.

BTW: The A340 isn't ugly. I think it's a very graceful looking bird. More than I can say about teh 777. All said and done, no A vs. B war.

Comment

Every manufacturer has ugly and elegant planes.

Airbus:
                      Ugly - A310...short and stubby
                      Elegant - A340-600...just perfect

Boeing
                      Ugly - B757...long and awkward
                      Elegant - B747-400...powerful and majestic

McDonnell Douglas
                      Ugly - MD-90...skeletal and lanky
                      Elegant - MD-11...graceful trijet

...and then there's the 777-300

Comment

Okay this is slightly off topic, but I need to put in an opinion here. This site now has over 60,000 photos, with over 1200 photos of A-340's. So how come not one photo example used in this thread came from this site? If you want to use this site and see it grow then how about properly supporting it and searching here first for photo examples for your posts. Then if you can't find anything suitable go look at other sites. I have photos on this site and on the other site as well, but I think that it is responsible behavior to support the site you choose to post from. I don't mean this to be an attack against any person or any other site, just a thought to be used as a guidline for all who choose to post here.

Comment

Amen!

(and for all you commies who hate the 757 you can d...it beats the A320 series any day.)

Comment

Re:

The A340 may not be gr8 looking, but it definitely has the best economy class seating! DEFINITELY BEATS the 777's seating!! The 777's seating SUCKS bigtime! God, I didn't have any room between my knees and the seat in front of me when I flew DL's B777s twice! Both times, my legs hurt! I would definitely not recommend the 777 seating wise. (Economy class, i.e.)
                            "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Congratulations, Seattle!"

Comment

Re:

I also like the 767-300ER's seating. The economy class seats are better in this plane than the 777's seating. Very comfortable indeed!
                              "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Congratulations, Seattle!"

Comment

Working...
                              X