Thrust used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrust used

How much thrust will the pilots used when in cruising altitude? Suppose it is a fully-loaded airplane.

Re: Thrust used

These days, the thrust to be used in flight is predetermined before departure (in most planes). Data is fed into the computer and the thrust setting is selected depending on the weight of the aircraft w/ the pax and cargo, the winds enroute, and other such factors. From what I know, pilots can feed data into the plane's computer to provide for variable thrust settings, so that it may compensate for stronger headwinds, bad weather conditions, etc.
    "Ok, I'm gonna get as many as I can on that SW pad there, uh... ok, Amarillo, you're #1, Houston-#2, Albuquerque #3, Phoenix-#4, Chicago-#5, Seattle-#6...

Congratulations, Seattle!"

Comment

Very little thrust is used while cruising. Full thrust is needed to get them into the air but once their there and at cruising speed, the only thrust that is needed now is to maintain that speed which is (if I'm correct) a fraction of the full thrust.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think you maintain 60% N1 during cruise. Then again, it probably depende upon which aircraft it is.
        "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Yea, there is alot of difference between a 762, and a 752. 752 is a rocket, on the 762 is a brick. So thrust varies between aircraft. Usually, thrust is decided by the mach crusing speed. Usually from .74 to .86, and weight, winds, pax load, etc.. is the deciding factor to determining to thrust used while en-route.

But the average thrust used is about 65-75% N1. And about 90% on T/O is used.
          Cory Klimko
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
          X