WJA sues AC for $30million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ACman
    I just think its stupid, pile of whiners and complainers. Just like 12 year olds. whine, bitch, complain, kick and scream if they dont get there own way.
    putting that on is not whining and complaining... its just the latest news on the cases

Comment

• sturla: the data contained in AC's site is copyrighted and proprietary.

I disagree. Although the information is setup for employees - both present and former - there wasn't a contract or agreement signed for use, and there weren't any terms of use when you logged in. There is now, but only after the lawsuits were made. There was always the "understanding" that nobody else but those who were given passwords would use it, but there was no contract, no terms of use, or any agreements made. The fact that Air Canada allows former employees to view this website tells me that the information contained therein is NOT as important as Air Canada is making it out to be.

Like I said, Westjet was wrong regardless which is why Air Canada will win. I do not see Air Canada winning anywhere near what they are claiming ($220M+), but something more realistic like legal fees (lawyers) + $5M or so.
      EH..

Comment

• listen up "eh", It is copywrited. I cant copy, or take desktop pics and show eveyone on this forum what the L/F's are for a trips from YYZ to YHZ. It is confidentail, for employees only. It says that to! If it wasnt confidentail and AC didnt care, you could easyily see it.

There are contracts, terms of agreement ect... EULA, in otherwords. Ex-emplyees are allowed to book flights via this because of EMPLOYEE BENIFITS.

People who think they know it about the AC employee reservation website and say its not copywrited tick me off.
        -Kevin

Comment

• I guess you couldn't show the EULA eh? *curious*

Comment

• Originally posted by ACman
            listen up "eh", It is copywrited. I cant copy, or take desktop pics and show eveyone on this forum what the L/F's are for a trips from YYZ to YHZ. It is confidentail, for employees only. It says that to! If it wasnt confidentail and AC didnt care, you could easyily see it.

There are contracts, terms of agreement ect... EULA, in otherwords. Ex-emplyees are allowed to book flights via this because of EMPLOYEE BENIFITS.

People who think they know it about the AC employee reservation website and say its not copywrited tick me off.
            he said that there were not terms of agreement.... but now there is

Comment

• Quick clarification to certain ppl: You do not need an "EULA" of user agreement of any kind for something to be copyrighted or protected. A simple example: did you fill out a user agreement when you opened the newspaper? (Provided you read, that is ) Or, for that matter, when you go to the NFL/NBA/NHL etc website you do not fill out anything. There is of course a legal notice if you bother to look for it. Just because you haven't read it or seen it, however, doesn't mean that it doesn't apply to you. The material is still proprietary and you still have to act accordingly. An "EULA" is a good way to drive the point home, though. Another comparable example; you do not need to trademark a logo, slogan, name or pattern for it to be proprietary and copyrighted. A trademark application helps, and gives you additional legal protection (and costs!) but it is not required. The works is copyright unless otherwise designated. As an example, the opinions expressed in my posts on the JP.net boards are always and automatically copyright me ( (c) 2004 blah blah). Technically I do not need to attach that there.

As for the amounts ... you never know what the courts will decide but since we're outside the US I have a hard time seeing the amount being too big. I'm not going to guess are there isn't a airline-related precedent for this in Canada, however.

-Sturla

Comment

Working...
              X