• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline weight standards to be increased

From CBC Calgary..

Airline weight standards to be increased
    Last Updated Jan 4 2005 10:48 AM MST
    Calgary – Transport Canada wants the standard number used to estimate the weight of airline passengers to be increased, which could hurt profits at smaller carriers, analysts say.

The federal agency wants airlines to estimate the average weight of men at 206 pounds, up 13 pounds, and at 171 pounds for women, an increase of 25 pounds – based on the growing girth of Canadians.

Airlines use the numbers to determine how many people they can safely carry.

Underestimating that weight and overloading were factors in two recent crashes of a charter plane in Ontario and a commuter plane in the U.S.

Analyst Rick Erickson says smaller airlines may not be able to get as many passengers on board with the new rules, which would cut into their profits.

"It could cost a carrier a seat, not being able to take 19 passengers, but only take 18, and what we see with these tier 3 operators in the province is, you know, one passenger can be profitability on a flight," Erickson said. "So you can bet these folks are certainly going to be watching this very, very closely."

Aviation authorities in the United States and New Zealand have recently increased their weight standards as well, so that airlines have a more accurate assessment of how much weight the planes are carrying.

Interesting to see this trend in Canada, is obesity a big problem in Canada?
    - The baby will be back -

Comment

It is a problem but I dont think it's quite as bad as it is over there.
      Thanks,
      Michael

Comment

The new weights are also for the United States, however the FAA has not mandated the change. Air Canada already has two sets of weights, one for winter and one for summer. Some flights do end up with weight restrictions in the winter due to the higher winter weights.

The new weights will hurt the smaller airlines, however it was a result of the crash at Pelee Island that killed everyone onboard. That's why the new weights are being pushed through in Canada earlier than in other countries.

Comment

DIM. Dale, you know what im talking about.
          -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by babypurin
            Interesting to see this trend in Canada, is obesity a big problem in Canada?
            Us Canadians love our convience foods and television just as much as the next country

I don't think it's all about fat though. People seem to be getting bigger in general. Kids are starting to tower over me, and I'm 6'7. My cousin is 17 and has passed me already.

Though that's a smaller percent than fatter people around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
              Us Canadians love our convience foods and television just as much as the next country

I don't think it's all about fat though. People seem to be getting bigger in general. Kids are starting to tower over me, and I'm 6'7. My cousin is 17 and has passed me already.

I turned 17 in September and im 6'4"
              Ryan Davis
              Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
              www.flyerguide.net

Comment

What the hell? Kids are towering over you? Is your cousing ready to play for the Raptors soon or what?

-Sturla

Comment

By the time he stops growing he's going to be nearly 7'.
                  - The baby will be back -

Comment

His shoes are already at Size 16(US). Crazy!

If people keep getting bigger Airlines will have to invest in new seats as well. Nothing like being tall and wedging youself into seats on an Air Transat flight for XX hours with your knees hitting your forehead
                    Last edited by Genessee; 2005-01-05, 13:34.

Comment

Those are some hella numbers, though! 171 lb women!!!! I think that might be a little too much, even in the winter time. I think a more important increase, rather than pax weight would be bag weight. The average number used for bag weights is 35 lbs for checked bags and 20 lbs for gate checks.......
                      Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Adjusting the weight figures is a good idea, in fact at whichever the location, people are getting heavier and taller as well. Something taken into account when Airbus developped and blue printed the A320 almost twenty years ago. Close-by, a friend's elder twin sons turned 17 last May. To better celebrate this, they topped their dad, and me altogether, in terms of heigh His third, now 14 is taking the same course as his brothers by recording a solid 1.71m heigh.
                        Alain
                        Thanks for visiting
                        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                        *JetPhotos*
                        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Nothing like being tall and wedging youself into seats on an Air Transat flight for XX hours with your knees hitting your forehead
                          -Kevin

Comment

His shoes are already at Size 16(US). Crazy!

If people keep getting bigger Airlines will have to invest in new seats as well. Nothing like being tall and wedging youself into seats on an Air Transat flight for XX hours with your knees hitting your forehead
                            Its true!
                            Thanks,
                            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by yyz-yvr
                              Its true!
                              It's also the reason seat 22A is the best Jetsgo seat to get! (on MD83s anyway) .. So much space, and it reclines!

Comment

Working...
                              X