Favorite Militarized airliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Militarized airliner

Which one do you like best? Please, don't hesitate to explain why. If your plane it isn't there. Please make mention of it.

Sorry, just a point of clarification.

I didn't put down the Boeing 717 (originally the model classification for all Boeing 707 military planes in the cold war years) as to prevent mixups and to keep things simple. We'll just stick with 707 regardless of exact type.

Thanks

Comment

I Voted DC-10

Regards

The Sprit of Australia

Comment

yes. DC-10 [img]clap.gif[/img]

most definitely

Indian airlines

Comment

Well, mine would be the DH Comet becoming the RAF Nimrod. Comet 4 looked better, but no chance of seeing one now. The Nimrod retains the unique look. Wish there were more opportunites to see them in USA.

Tom

Comment

I must admit, the DC-10 makes for an excellent tanker. [img]clap.gif[/img]

However, my vote goes to the 707s. Just look at the wide variety of tasks they perform. Tanker, Transport, AWACS, Communications, Recon, Surveillance, Electronics just the one's I know offhand. Don't forget the fact that they are still soldiering on with Air Forces around the world.

However, the 747 is impressive to. Believe it or not, there have been 747 tankers, formerly part of the Iranian Air Force. I can't wait to see the new 767 tanker.

PS-From what I heard Airbus is competing with Boeing to build tankers for the RAF to succeed the L1011s and VC-10s currently tanking. Its the B763 vs. the A332. Both look promising, I wonder who will win. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

The KC-10 Extender is one SWEET aircraft.

Actually the DC-10 is my 2nd favorite aircraft after the 767-300...Man i just love the Extenders...the Stratotankers werent bad either. Cant wait till those 767 tankers come into service...

DC-10/KC-10 All the way
              Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
              Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
              http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

The KC-10 has actually the greatest range out of any standard produced aircraft... (Yes even the 777-200LR, A340-500) The extra fuel that it carriers can be funneled to power the Extender, and give it undisputed monstrous range. Amazing plane...just amazing
                Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
                Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
                http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

My vote went for Boeing 707.

By the way does any one have info on white color Boeing 747 also known as 'Doom's Day Jet' operated by the United States. I recently came to know about this 747 in a BBC program on Sept 11 events.
                  Abbas Ali

Webmaster of :
                  History of PIA - Pakistan International Airlines

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by PK246:
                    By the way does any one have info on white color Boeing 747 also known as 'Doom's Day Jet' operated by the United States. I recently came to know about this 747 in a BBC program on Sept 11 events.

Never heard about it...Is it an E-4B? (same type as Presidential 747 but modified of course)

Comment

My is the DC-10. I came home from Iraq on one in 1992. It was charter from United Airlines. My mother was one of them F/As and I was a 20-year-old SGT. MP and she fed booze to my group of 50 "troops" and showed all the stupid kid photos.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Ian Duke:
                        Never heard about it...Is it an E-4B? (same type as Presidential 747 but modified of course)

I think it was E-4B. In the BBC program it was shown taking off on Sept 11 and people shown on a street and looking at it were calling it "Doom's Day Jet". It was a 747 and its color was white, it looked white to me. BTW what's the main job of E-4B?
                        Abbas Ali

Webmaster of :
                        History of PIA - Pakistan International Airlines

Comment

The E-4B's serve as the flying National Emergency Airborne Command Post for the U.S. President. There are 4 currently. They were built during 1974/1975 time frame and are air refuelable. Tail numbers can be found in any production list for the 747. [img]nod.gif[/img]

Cheers! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

shamrock145hvy

[ January 24, 2003 01:38 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by shamrock145hvy ]

Comment

Mine has to be the 707-347C's that were operated by the Canadian Forces by 436 Sqn CFB Trenton as refuellers/cargo carriers, VIP and pax duties 1970-ca 1997. I still remember coming home on one from 6 months on peacekeeping duties happy to be the h*ll out of Cyprus, tempered with a quick stop at Quebec City to drop off a body of a soldier killed while fighting the Cold War in Europe. My last flight in one was from Ottawa to Lahr, Germany in August 1992 ( we came home on a dreadful Nationair 757-200 that had 228 seats crammed on). I flew to former Yugoslavia and back in '99 on one of the new(er) Airbus 310-300's and while they had movies etc, they were not the same as flying a 707. Also flew them many times across Canada from Labrador to BC on many occasions.
                            ________
                            Babe Oiled

Comment

Lockeed Electra aka P-3

Comment

Working...
                              X