DHL Cargo DC-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHL Cargo DC-8

What engines is this DC-8 equipt with? They are much larger than normal.
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=24178

Thanks
    pg15

DHL Cargo DC-8

Those my friend are CFM-56 engines. The same ones that power the KC-135 tankers. Many 707/DC-8s have been reengined with these CFMs because they are more efficient and considerably quieter than those very old Pratt & Whitney JD7D turbofans.

On a sidenote-My father works for DHL, businessman.

Comment

In the USAF, only the KC-135R have CFM engines. Some EC-135 variants are also suppose to receive CFM's.

The KC-135E have the 707 turbo-fans. E-models are awaiting CFM engine conversion to R-model.

I sure miss the KC-135A with the water injection. Those were the days!

Cheers!

shamrock145hvy

Comment

Re: DHL Cargo DC-8

Originally posted by Richard
        Those my friend are CFM-56 engines. The same ones that power the KC-135 tankers. Many 707/DC-8s have been reengined with these CFMs because they are more efficient and considerably quieter than those very old Pratt & Whitney JD7D turbofans.

On a sidenote-My father works for DHL, businessman.
        JT3D turbofans
        ________
        FETISH RUBBER

Comment

Originally posted by shamrock145hvy
          In the USAF, only the KC-135R have CFM engines. Some EC-135 variants are also suppose to receive CFM's.

The KC-135E have the 707 turbo-fans. E-models are awaiting CFM engine conversion to R-model.

I sure miss the KC-135A with the water injection. Those were the days!

Cheers!

shamrock145hvy
          Yes, you could hear those J57s miles away. I was under the flight path for then March AFB for a month of fun in 1989, and you could tell instantly which were the A models and which were the R's! Noisy smoky old things. Even more impressive was a B52G with eight of them spooling up.
          ________
          Ferrari Colombo Engine

Comment

The DC-8's sound is very distinctive. you can always tell when one of ATI's examples is landing. It is a shame they are replacing the engines but I rather have a DC-8 with CFM-56's then no DC-8 at all.

Comment

Some of them are being hush kitted to meet the current noise regs, but i think there is a trade off in performance. Another better reason to re engine is the hugely reduced fuel consumption not to mention 33% more power!
              ________
              Volcano vaporizers

Comment

Working...
              X